Skip navigation

Why isn't Mountain Lion compatible with my mom's 2006 iMac?

334 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2012 4:22 AM by FayeCS RSS
TimmyTimmah Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 29, 2012 9:41 PM

My mom's late 2006 iMac isn't compatible with Mountain Lion after I upgraded her RAM.  Why is this?

• steve359 Level 6 Level 6 (12,035 points)

ML needs features that are not available in 2006 iMacs.

The goos news is that id your iMac was made in late 2006 (not early or mid) you can run Lion, assuming you need features in OSX that do not exist in SL.

• FayeCS Calculating status...

Assuming you have a late-2006 iMac*, it likely doesn't contain enough memory to run Mountain Lion smoothly. I purchased a mid-2012 MacBook Pro with 4GB of memory and Mountain Lion, and it slowed down to a crawl when I ran a Parallels 8 virtual machine one it that I gave one gigabyte of memory of its own. Moutain Lion eats up about 2 gigabytes all by itself. I concur with steve359, Lion should run pretty well on your iMac.

* Specifications can be found here: http://support.apple.com/kb/SP28?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

• steve359 Level 6 Level 6 (12,035 points)

Lion will have reasonable support for a while.  More so than SL, but not as many updates as ML.

Glad you are at a point that you feel happy.

• softwater Level 5 Level 5 (5,370 points)

Mountain Lion is only supported on about 40 models of Mac. See my

http://applehelpwriter.com/2012/08/03/will-mountain-lion-work-on-my-old-mac/

(ToU Disclaimer: this page links to other pages which promote my services as a technical writer)

• FayeCS Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I think you're spot on, TimmyTimmah. In terms of build quality and interface design, Apple is second to none, but the time where Macs could last up to 10 years (my old iMac G3 was used and kept up-to-date for a decade) has come and gone. It just occurred to me that the latest version can be installed on PCs that are older than the oldest Macs that support it.

~Faye

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.