Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is Max Ram To add to 15" MBP

Hi,

I am concidering extra Ram for my 15" MBP mid 2012, 2.7 GHzIntel Core i7, that currently has 8GB (4GB in each slot). Is it possible to add 8GB in each slot total of 16GB? What is the maximum i may add? whith also severall on the market what is the best for all round performance, since i use it for intense Design work with CAD type softwares, parallel VMWare, internet surfing flash websites and graphics all at once.

Thank you

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 7:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 7:54 AM

16 GB is the maximum that your MBP can accommodate. I suggest that you get your RAM from OWC or Crucial. Both have a reputation of providing good customer support with 'failsafe' RAM.

Ciao.

Make certain that you adhere to the exact specifications for your MBP They are: 204-pin PC3-12800 (1600 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM.

Message was edited by: OGELTHORPE

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2012 7:54 AM in response to AVR MBP

16 GB is the maximum that your MBP can accommodate. I suggest that you get your RAM from OWC or Crucial. Both have a reputation of providing good customer support with 'failsafe' RAM.

Ciao.

Make certain that you adhere to the exact specifications for your MBP They are: 204-pin PC3-12800 (1600 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM.

Message was edited by: OGELTHORPE

Dec 31, 2012 1:44 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

OGELTHORPE,

Thank you for the response, it was very helpful.

I searched around for the 16Gb RAM and come across both websites OWC and Crucial, but while searching some of the install videos, I only noticed that they were Installing Corsair Vengeance 16GB.. What's is the difference and how is it that all these install videos for the same MBP that I have were all installing the Vengeance, is it a higher performance RAM? How can I compare what makes them different, or why pick one over another, I couldn't find any site that compared them.

Thanks again.

Dec 31, 2012 1:53 AM in response to AVR MBP

I have Corsair - but not the Vengence - just Corsair labeled as "Mac Memory". Were I buying today, I would buy Crucial - it's just good solid RAM that works well in Macs (unlike PNY, some Corsair and Kingston 'value' brands, etc.).

Use the System Scanner tab at the Crucial website to find the RAM that's 'right' for your model. You just can't go wrong with Crucial.

Clinton

Dec 31, 2012 2:42 AM in response to AVR MBP

There is no such thing as 'high performance' RAM. For a given set of specifications ALL RAM will perform the same way. The differences primarily lie in manufacturing quality standards. Some vendor provide RAM that is tested more thoroughly than others. Consequently RAM problems occur less with the RAM that they provide as opposed to some vendors 'economy' RAM.

Most problems occur when the user deviates from the specifications for a given Mac. Its like putting in a larger engine in a car. You then have to alter the engine mounts , wiring, transmission etc. Its not just the engine that must be taken into consideration, the entire system has to be viewed as an integrated whole.

Customer service is one of the reasons I favor OWC and Crucial. If you get faulty RAM, one wants to get the matter resolved quickly. If you have RAM problems bought from OWC, they will send replacement RAM immediately. They will not wait for you to return your faulty RAM. In addition they have a technical staff that is competent and responsive. I have consulted with them on several occasions to solve problems or simply get more detailed information.

Ciao.

what is Max Ram To add to 15" MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.