Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 13 inch vs 15 inch for Gaming

I am considering buying a new Macbook pro, either 13 inch or the lower end 15 inch one. The only thing thats getting in the way of my decision is the graphic card. I am not a huge gamer but I do play some games like Starcraft2, Sims3 and Diablo3 when it comes out. If the graphics are good on the 13 inch then I would love to buy the 13 inch, because the 15 inch is a little out of my price range. Anyways my question is, is the 13 inch macbook pro good enough for a mid level gamer? I also like to watch movies and shows on my laptop but i will probably get a bigger monitor in the future.

iPad 2, Mac OS X (10.0.x)

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 7:51 AM

8 replies

Dec 30, 2012 9:38 AM in response to chaitanya.ac

This is not true, the bigger monitir will not change the fact that you are using a limited integrated graphics. If anything getting a bigger monitor and using the integrated graphics for gaming on the monitor will make your experience even worse because the gpu will have to push out more pixels than on the 13inch screen requiring more rendering and less fps.

Dec 30, 2012 10:13 AM in response to chaitanya.ac

If you have to get a 13inch then you will need at least 8gb of ram which will increase the vram to 512mb and as I said this will make gaming for certain games possible, but settings will have to be at low. For example I have an early 2011 13inch and played diablo 3 at highest resolution, no shadows, and everything else at low and I had fps between 25-30. This made gaming possible, but not the greatest experience because things were blurry and it made the graphics look outdated. I now have a 15inch retina which has the discrete graphics and I can play diablo 3 at an even higher resolution than the 13inch with medium smooth shadows and all other settings at high and it runs at a consistent 30fps.

Macbook Pro 13 inch vs 15 inch for Gaming

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.