Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion Recovery

I have just restored my HD from a TimeMachine Backup, and ALL the files are there, including the system folder. When I try to start up from my newly restored HD, all I get is a question mark folder, i.e. it can't find a system. When I try to re-insatll the system and do command-R, the recovery disc is gone. When I try to restore the recovery disc with recovery disk assistant, it tells me I can't, because I need system 10.7. I restored my HD with an external drive using Snow Leopard.

What do I do now?

I DON'T WANT to go into Mountain Lion.

MacBook Pro, June 2009.

Thanks

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 10:45 AM

3 replies

Dec 30, 2012 11:43 AM in response to Allan Eckert

Thanks Allan for your speedy response.

I had a partition on my HD to do my Windows work, and occasionally boot up from. However, since Lion no longer supports Windows XP, that partition was unused, and I did all my Windows stuff with VMware virtual. I wanted to recoup the space and change my HD back to one partition. I thought that this was a great opportunity to defragment my drive as well. So I erased everything and restored from a Time Machine Backups.

So now I have one partition called 'Time Machine Backups' with my Macintosh HD nested way inside, Path: 'Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupd/MacBook-001F5BB8F26A(2)/a hole bunch of folders all named by the dates of the backups Latest/Macintosh HD

How do I pull out the folder Macintosh HD and make it look like a disk and bless the containing system folder?

I was looking forward to Mountain Lion because it had the universal streaming feature for everything. However, I discovered it was not supported by my mid-2009 machine. So I lost interest.

Dec 30, 2012 8:00 PM in response to Klaus Blume

I appear to have solved my own problem. I partitioned my external drive to allow for an external installation of Lion, which, of course, will install a recovery disk. Once that was done, I restarted in command-R mode, and directed the Time Machine restore to the HD of my MBP. After almost four hours my HD was restored, unlike the 10 hours that the Restore in Disk Utility took, and it didn’t work...

Thanks for your help.

Lion Recovery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.