Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will the Apple 24-inch Cinema Display work with Mac-Mini Late 2009 MiniDisplayPort?

I have a Mac Mini Late 2009 running Snow Leopard, and would like to use an Apple 24-inch Cinema Display with it ( becuase I also have a 24-inch 2009 iMac with that same screen built in , also running Snow Leopard ).

I have looked and looked to find a single reference anywhere that the Mini Display Port on the Mac Mini is all the Cinema Display needs to work , at full 1920 x 1200 resolution. The specs list all the other Macs as being compatible ... MacBook, MacBook Air , MacBook Pro. But NOT my Mac Mini from the same era, which has the same Mini Display Port ( besides Mini DVI ) and its NVIDIA GeForce 9400M video card supports 1920 x 1200 pixels.

Why isn't the Late 2009 Mac Mini listed as being Cinema Display ready ? Error of ommission , or does it really not work ?

thanx

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 11:18 AM

1 reply

Dec 30, 2012 2:55 PM in response to DeweyV

Hi Dewey, I think just an omission...

On October 14, 2008, the 23-inch Cinema Display was replaced with a 24-inch model made with aluminium and glass which had a similar appearance to the latest iMac, MacBook Pro and unibody MacBook designs. The display features a built-in iSight camera, microphone, and dual speaker system. A MagSafe cable runs from the back of the display for charging notebooks. It is the first Cinema Display to use LED backlighting and the Mini DisplayPort for video input.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Cinema_Display

Video Card:GeForce 9400MVRAM Type:Integrated
Details:This model has a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M that shares memory with the system.
Standard VRAM:256 MBMaximum VRAM:256 MB
Details:*Apple reports that this model has 256 MB of memory shared with system memory. Please note that this is the minimum graphics memory usage but the memory available to MacOS X "may vary depending on graphics needs".
Display Support:Dual DisplaysResolution Support:1920x1200*
Details:*This model simultaneously supports 1920x1200 on a DVI or VGA display using the Mini-DVI port and 2560x1600 on a dual-link DVI display using the Mini DisplayPort (with an optional Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter).
2nd Display Support:Dual/Mirroring*2nd Max. Resolution:2560x1600*
Details:*This model simultaneously supports 1920x1200 on a DVI or VGA display using the Mini-DVI port and 2560x1600 on a dual-link DVI display using the Mini DisplayPort (with an optional Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter).

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac-mini-core-2-duo-2.53-la te-2009-specs.html

Will the Apple 24-inch Cinema Display work with Mac-Mini Late 2009 MiniDisplayPort?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.