Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I fix an overlapped allocation?

When trying to boot up my Powerbook G4 today, it failed. I tried starting up from my Tech Tool Pro 4 disc and ran a diagnostic. The diagnostic identified the following problem:

"Allocation Overlap (-694)"

Unfortunately, it gave no option to repair the disk.

I then tried starting up from my Tiger disc and ran Disk Utility. It too identified an allocation overlap error and claimed to have repaired it. I tried starting up again, but I just get the gray startup screen with the gray apple and with the little spinning startup image below.

The irony is I had planned to back up vital data off the Powerbook today, because the computer is old, and I have important files that needed to move to my new computer. I am hoping that somebody can provide me with a solution to either get my Powerbook up and running again or walk me through the steps of getting my data off of the computer and onto my other Mac.

This really has me both stumped and panicked. :-(

Please help. Need is urgent.

Thank you!

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 12:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 12:27 PM

You can either reformat the disk or DiskWarrior might be able to repair the error.

The reformat will wipe out all of your data which is not backed up making that not an option.

You can try DiskWarrior and see if it can save things for you. I have found DiskWarrior has been able to save all of the disks I have tried it on with problems.

Allan

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2012 12:27 PM in response to themadvalkyrie

You can either reformat the disk or DiskWarrior might be able to repair the error.

The reformat will wipe out all of your data which is not backed up making that not an option.

You can try DiskWarrior and see if it can save things for you. I have found DiskWarrior has been able to save all of the disks I have tried it on with problems.

Allan

Dec 31, 2012 11:16 AM in response to Allan Eckert

Was able to get a copy of DiskWarrior from a friend. After numerous attempts and alleged successful repairs and rebuilds (according to DW), the Powerbook still would not boot. That’s the bad news.

The good news is DW is enabling me to copy my data from the Powerbook to an external drive. So far, I’ve been able to save and access all my mail and contacts. But, it looks like I have a long road ahead going through the rest.

After all’s said and done, it looks like I’ll be wiping the Powerbook and reinstalling the OS. Granted, the Powerbook is a 10 year old machine, but I had no performance issues with it at all until yesterday. Seems odd to suddenly have such a mega disaster hit like that without some sign.

Thanks much for the DW recommendation! Though it did not do what I hoped it would, it is enabling me to get my data off of the affected computer, which is all that matters at this point.

Happy new year! :-)

How do I fix an overlapped allocation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.