Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a difference between iMovie '11 and iMovie HD?

Just getting started with trying to learn how to edit a video. Also, is '11 short for 2011? In other words, if I referred to "iMovie 2011" would I be talking about something that actually exists? I guess HD means High Definition. What do you call something that is NOT HD? Low def? Regular Def? The introduction to "iMovie HD"manual refers to "Magic iMovie" Does the word Magic have special meaning, the way it does in reference to a mouse (mighty or magic being different)? The manual keeps referring to "the latest" but the copyright date at the back is 2005. This makes me wonder if there is a more recent version of this manual. Is there a place on the apple website to check on what the latest version is? What is the Product I am asking abouit? I don't think it is iMac, iPhone, iS 5 or None. But those are the only choices I see below here. Why is there not a choice of "iMovie"? Or iLife?

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 2:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 2:43 PM

iMovie 11 was introduced in 2011 and it is the current version. (The actual version number is 9.0.8). Although HD is not in the name, most people use iMovie 11 for HD movies. It imports video from modern camcorders that record in AVCHD and h.264. as well as older tape based camcorders.

iMovie 6 HD was released in 2006. It is tape centric, and not a good option for modern camcorders, although some people prefer it who still use tape based camcorders. It will not import AVCHD from a camera, so you have to use something like iMovie 11 to import it and convert it to Apple Intermediate Codec, which iMovie 6 can edit.

The biggest shortcoming of iMovie 6 is that it wastes a lot of disk space. If you use the same footage in two projects, it take double the space. If you use the same footage in 3 projects, it takes triple the space. In iMovie 06 days, disk drives were small and expensive so it was assumed that you would save everything to tape. These days you can get a 2TB drive for $150 so few people store to tape. iMovie 11 does not even have a store to tape feature.

In iMovie 11, you import footage once, into an Event. Multiple projects can use this footage without doubling or tripling space.

Editing is also problematic in iMovie 6. Both iMovie 6 and iMovie 11 allow "nondestructive editing" which means you can reverse any edit decision that you make. But in iMovie 6, it does this by making a copy of everything that you change and storing it in a file. This means that the files for a project can get quite big, because it stores a physical copy of the before and after of all changes. In iMovie 11, your edit decisions are a simple hexadecimal text file, so you can undo an edit decision without causing your event or project to get any bigger.

iMovie 11 and iMovie 6 have totally different interfaces. iMovie 08 was a total redesign that took iMovie in a totally different direction, and this paradigm has continued in Final Cut Pro X. For me it is much quicker to edit in iMovie 11, but you will still find many regulars here who swear by iMovie 06.

Here is the Manual for iMovie 11.

http://help.apple.com/imovie/#button-1

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2012 2:43 PM in response to chad e4

iMovie 11 was introduced in 2011 and it is the current version. (The actual version number is 9.0.8). Although HD is not in the name, most people use iMovie 11 for HD movies. It imports video from modern camcorders that record in AVCHD and h.264. as well as older tape based camcorders.

iMovie 6 HD was released in 2006. It is tape centric, and not a good option for modern camcorders, although some people prefer it who still use tape based camcorders. It will not import AVCHD from a camera, so you have to use something like iMovie 11 to import it and convert it to Apple Intermediate Codec, which iMovie 6 can edit.

The biggest shortcoming of iMovie 6 is that it wastes a lot of disk space. If you use the same footage in two projects, it take double the space. If you use the same footage in 3 projects, it takes triple the space. In iMovie 06 days, disk drives were small and expensive so it was assumed that you would save everything to tape. These days you can get a 2TB drive for $150 so few people store to tape. iMovie 11 does not even have a store to tape feature.

In iMovie 11, you import footage once, into an Event. Multiple projects can use this footage without doubling or tripling space.

Editing is also problematic in iMovie 6. Both iMovie 6 and iMovie 11 allow "nondestructive editing" which means you can reverse any edit decision that you make. But in iMovie 6, it does this by making a copy of everything that you change and storing it in a file. This means that the files for a project can get quite big, because it stores a physical copy of the before and after of all changes. In iMovie 11, your edit decisions are a simple hexadecimal text file, so you can undo an edit decision without causing your event or project to get any bigger.

iMovie 11 and iMovie 6 have totally different interfaces. iMovie 08 was a total redesign that took iMovie in a totally different direction, and this paradigm has continued in Final Cut Pro X. For me it is much quicker to edit in iMovie 11, but you will still find many regulars here who swear by iMovie 06.

Here is the Manual for iMovie 11.

http://help.apple.com/imovie/#button-1

Dec 30, 2012 2:48 PM in response to chad e4

more questions: is a "project" the same thing as a "movie"? Or is it a "project" while you create it and then it becomes a "movie:" after you finish it? This is something the Apple manual writers assume everyone already knows but I do not. What is a Cache and how it is different from a Library? Clip seems on the surface obvious (a short section of continous video/audio that is a building block for a movie) but as I think about it, I wonder.....It is BOTH audio and video? or EITHER? If a movie contained only one clip wouold it be called a clip or a movie? If the audio and the video were from different sources would it still be a clip? What are scenes? What are sections? What are effects? How many different types of panes exist? (So far, I see audio, titles, photos, transitions, effects, and iDVD) What is the difference between iDVD and DVD? What is video exactly and how is video different from a movie? Does video include audio by definition? Or are there different terms to refer to video with and without audio?

Dec 30, 2012 3:14 PM in response to AppleMan1958

VERY helpful; thanks. It even answered some questions I did not know I had. But some questions I still have.

Is "Magic iMovie" an obsolete term that refers to something no longer used?

The link you provided to a manual for iMovie 11 takes me to an online help application. Does that mean that there is no PDF file? (I much prefer a PDF file because I can print it out and wrirte on it, but perhaps Apple no longer provides PDF files?) Should IU throw out the undated iMovie HD Getting Started document I printed out? Or would it be helpful for me to read it so that I will more easily understand terminology in subsequent Apple revisions?

AVCHD and h.264 are unfamiliar terms to me. Where might I go to learn what they are and what all the other formats are?

I am also not familiar with "Final Cut Pro X" Is that sold by Apple? Is it simpler or more complex than iMovie 11? Are they competing products? Or complementary?

Dec 30, 2012 3:27 PM in response to chad e4

more questions: is a "project" the same thing as a "movie"?

A Project is a movie you are making. You can use the clips from one or more events in a project. You can also use photos from iPhoto or Aperture or the Finder, and you can use Music from iTunes. When you "finish" a project, you use the SHARE menu to execute all your edits and create a file that can be played where you want it, in the size you want it. Even after you Share a project, you can go back and edit it some more if you like, but then you would need to Share it again.

Or is it a "project" while you create it and then it becomes a "movie:" after you finish it?

A movie is the result of your Sharing the project as I mentioned above.

This is something the Apple manual writers assume everyone already knows but I do not. What is a Cache and how it is different from a Library?

You shouldn't really need to understand caches and libraries to use iMovie. The Library is a section of your hard drive that you don't generally need to go to. It holds a bunch of files that are used by the system.

A cache is a temporary place to hold something that you might need right away. For example, Let's say you are editing the first five seconds of a clip. It takes time to go out and get the clip off the disk drive and bring it into memory so you can edit it. A cache might be used, say, to save some time by going ahead and bringing in the whole clip (not just the first 5 seconds) and maybe the next clip too. Another example. You want a glass of milk. So do you go to the store and buy a glass of milk? No. You buy a gallon of milk and put it in the refrigerator. You drink your glass of milk. When you want another glass, you go to the cache (the refrigerator) not the store. The iMovie App handles all this behind the scenes so you don't have to worry about it.

Clip seems on the surface obvious (a short section of continous video/audio that is a building block for a movie) but as I think about it, I wonder.....It is BOTH audio and video? or EITHER? If a movie contained only one clip wouold it be called a clip or a movie?

The best way to understand clips is that it is a unit of video from the time you press record on your camera until the time you press stop. Ususally a clip is from 5 seconds to 20 seconds, but if you are recording a convert, a single clip might be two hours. A clip is imported into an Event. A clip, or a portion of a clip, can be used in a project. It becomes a movie when you share the project. Could you take one clip and make a project from it with no editing? Sure.

Usually a camcorder will record both audio and video. You can, however, use only the audio or only the video in a project if you want.

If the audio and the video were from different sources would it still be a clip?

No, it would be two clips. You can edit them together. If you want to sync multiple video angles (from different cameras) and different sound sources (like really good microphones, separate from the camera) then Final Cut Pro X is your best bet. But for simple needs, you can combine audio clips and video clips in iMovie.

What are scenes? What are sections?

A scene is usually a unit within your movie. It is up to you to define that. For example, if I was makeing a movie about my daughter's marathon, I might put a scene together about the pre-race preparations, a scene about the starting line, a scene about the midpoint, and a scen at the finish line. Each scene could have many clips. A scene is really where you use your creativity. I am not sure how you are using the word Section.

What are effects?

An effect could be changing the color balance, adding a sound effect, adding slow motion or fast motion, adding an old-timey or black and white look, adding a freeze frame, there are a lot. You dont have to use them at all. It depends on the story you are trying to tell.

How many different types of panes exist? (So far, I see audio, titles, photos, transitions, effects, and iDVD) What is the difference between iDVD and DVD?

A DVD is a round disk that you put in a DVD player. You can create a DVD if you have DVD authoring software and a DVD burner. Five years ago, all Macs had DVD burners. Now, MacBook Airs, some iMacs, and some Mac Books no longer have built-in burners, but you can always add a DVD burner through a USB port. Apple used to sell iDVD, which is an app that is used for DVD Authoring. You can still find copies of iDVD on Amazon or eBay. More on disk burning here. https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3711

More and more people are shooting HD video - and DVDs are only standard definition. And more and more people are sharing the video through YouTube and Facebook, which support HD. So Apple has been deemphasizing DVD lately. They have not updated iDVD since 2006. Still, if you make movies for friends and family who are not comfortable with the internet, DVDs are still quite useful.

What is video exactly and how is video different from a movie? Does video include audio by definition? Or are there different terms to refer to video with and without audio?

I think I already answered this one.

Dec 30, 2012 4:18 PM in response to chad e4

Magic iMovie is a method in iMovie 06 to create a movie pretty brainlessly. You can go from your tape-based camcorder to a DVD by giving it a title, choosing a cheeze transition, choosing some music, and hitting a button. See this video to see it in action. http://youtu.be/XD_qxGqOLHo

You can print out the iMovie help file as a PDF by clicking the Printer icon at the top right.

Some other good sources of understanding iMovie.

The same link that has the Help file has a Tutorial section (a button at the top) which takes you to video tutorials.

Here is a Tutorial for iMovie 09, which is still mostly valid. http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/imovie_09_stone.html

You can click on the User Tips section of this iMovie Discussions forum to see FAQs.

Final Cut Pro X is a professional editing application that costs about $300 in the US. iMovie is good for short (30 minutes or less) home videos. Final Cut Pro X can make professional, theatrical length movies.

They do not compete. You can do quite a bit with iMovie. But someday, you may reach the limits of what iMovie can do, and at this point, you might consider FInal Cut Pro X. It has a steep learning curve, because you have so many options. Here is the manual for FCP if you are interested.

http://help.apple.com/finalcutpro/mac/10.0.6/

Dec 30, 2012 4:26 PM in response to chad e4

AVCHD and h.264 are unfamiliar terms to me. Where might I go to learn what they are and what all the other formats are?

AVCHD is a form of h.264 which is frequently used in camcorders. H.264 is a variant of MPEG4 which Apple uses in most of its products. It is a group of pictures compression technique.

Wikipedia is a great source for going deeper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_of_pictures

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

Is there a difference between iMovie '11 and iMovie HD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.