Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why aren't text messages being marked as read?

I'm using Messages 7.0 on Mountain Lion, and whenever I start up my computer from shut down, or I log in, or restart Messages, I get a bunch of messages marked as unread although I've "read" them on my phone. When I click the conversation, the blue "unread" dot disappears for a second but then reappears when I click away from the conversation. How do I get this to be marked as read?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2008), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 3:01 PM

3 replies

Dec 31, 2012 1:24 PM in response to dtork

HI,

In this case means "Display on all devices". It does not mean "Follow action on other devices".

Therefore the Mac will show the iMessages no matter what you have done with them elsewhere.

User uploaded file
9:24 PM Monday; December 31, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Dec 31, 2012 1:50 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Ralph,

I'm sorry, that's not necessarily the case. This I'm sure is a glitch, where no matter how many times I "read" the message on my computer or phone, it always instantly reverts back to unread. For example:

1) Message marked with blue dot in Messages on my Macbook. (unread)

2) I click on the conversation, view it, blue dot disappears. (read)

3) I click on another conversation, or out of the window, and the blue dot on that same conversation reappears. (unread again)

4) I repeatedly click on the conversation and click away, but the blue dot continues to reappear seconds later.

Dec 31, 2012 2:02 PM in response to dtork

HI,

Is there a reason you are still using in Version 7.0 in either OS X 10.8 or OS X 10.8.1 ?

I have not seen this issue in version 7.0.1 with OS X 10.8.2

I have seen the blue dot coming and going as you describe and also not matching what you may have done with a message on an iOS device.

My impression was that swapping between different conversations seemed to "confuse" Messages as to it's current state.

It did seem if you left it at a "Read" message for a while it would "Accept" it had been read when you then changed Chats (not very practical I know).

User uploaded file
10:01 PM Monday; December 31, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Why aren't text messages being marked as read?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.