Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

share by email is not working in pages 09

Recently got a Mac Mini for my wife. We have drifted into the Apple world by way of iPhones and iPads and are making the switch from Windows. In any case my wife wrote a document in pages today and wanted to send it to a friend who is still in the windows world. I decided the best thing was to send it as a .pdf. When I click on the share menu item in Pages, the "send an email" choice is grayed out and unselectable. The three format choices are there on the menu in bold but when I try to select one nothing happens. No email is initiated or anything. I can hear the disk click a couple of times but that is it. What am I missing? Why is this not working. I found a work around but it will not work for my wife, she is not a technical type and "it just works" is one of the reasons we are switching to Macs. Thanks.

Harry

Pages 09-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), All recent updates applied.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 5:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 5:17 PM

Well, I found a different thread here after posting and it supplied the answer. It appears the share function from the menu is very sensitive to file names. If you keep them simple, the share function works fine.

Harry

10 replies

Jan 19, 2013 11:44 AM in response to chrisky307

I seem to have found the answer to the problem. For whatever reason Apple has the Share menu with the words Send via Mail greyed out AS A TITLE. Under it, Pages, Word and PDF are the options for sharing by Mail. Pick one of them and the Mail App opens. The same for Export which is also greyed out and acts as a title.

Strange user interface for Apple to now use.

Bob

Jan 19, 2013 1:32 PM in response to BobCotter

thanks for the reply. Yes, I noticed that. But yesterday, even when I clicked on any of the options (word, PDF or pages) nothing happened. So today, I shut my computer totally, waited about 20 seconds, then opened it, entered my password, opened Pages, opened my document, clicked on Share and selected the option (PDF) for the email, guess what IT WORKED!!!

Weird, but at least it works now.

share by email is not working in pages 09

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.