Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving Versions and Masters from single hard drive mac to multiple hard drive mac?

Hi all,

I have just atempted to move my Aperture library from an iMac to a Mac Pro. The iMac has one hard drive as you know so the Aperture Library and Master Files were on same drive and Aperture works fine.

With my Mac Pro I have 3 HD the first I use as scratch drive with all my apps etc on it. I have also housed here the Aperture Library as it never worked when I added it to HD 2. My Image Folder with all my Masters I added to HD 2.

After moving and reogranzing and importing etc etc etc the Library is organized fine. I went into Aperture-Preferences-Geenral and just chose location of new Aperture Library which was fine.

HOWEVER, where and how do I add the locaton of the MASTER FILES so all my Referenced files can locate them? The only way I can see so far is doing one by one and that is unviable...

Thanks,
Alex

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 4:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 4:37 PM

"File➞Locate Referenced Files" allows you to reconnect many Images at once.

Some hints in this post:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4269971?answerId=19483389022#19483389022

Ask more if that isn't clear or doesn't work.

16 replies

Dec 30, 2012 5:04 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

Mmm youre right I cant even do it one by one, I assuemd it would work and does not.

All other programs see HD 2 and it is vsible in my fidner etc. The HD is as it came from Apple I have not modificed anything so I assume it is correct.

I also assume it is correct because I have my iTunes Music Library there and iTunes works perefctly well.

Any ideas would be great, thanks? Let me know if you need any screen shots?
Thanks,

Dec 30, 2012 5:37 PM in response to albalboy

I also assume it is correct because I have my iTunes Music Library there and iTunes works perefctly well.

You better check than assume. iTunes is more tolerant with respect to the file system.

Select your Drive HD2 in the Finder and check the formatting and permissions in the info panel:

From the Finder's File command: File > Get Info, or the keyboard shortcut ⌘I.

Is the format "Mac OS X Extended Journaled"?

Do you have write permissions?

User uploaded file

Regards

Léonie

Dec 30, 2012 5:51 PM in response to albalboy

Yes, that looks o.k. to me. Plenty of free space and correctly formatted. You may want to enable the "ignore ownership on this volume" flag. It is not strictly necessary, but helpful, if you want to share the library between more than one mac.

Can it be, that your HD 2 is set as backup volume in Time Machine? Some applications will not store their data on a Time Machine volume.

Dec 30, 2012 6:28 PM in response to albalboy

In your first post you wrote:

With my Mac Pro I have 3 HD the first I use as scratch drive with all my apps etc on it. I have also housed here the Aperture Library as it never worked when I added it to HD 2.

What happened when you tried to put the library on HD 2? Isn;t this the same drive you how have your referenced masters?

Might be related.

Dec 30, 2012 7:17 PM in response to léonie

Leonie, re: Time Machine, no I have Time Machien OFF. My idea is to use HD 3 for back up once I get it all sorted out.

Frank, it wont let me move the Aperture Library it always comes up with this error attached. Also as you can see from another screen shot, it starts moving the file but blcoks on 22mb transfer then the error appears...?

Thanks,

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Dec 30, 2012 7:38 PM in response to albalboy

This looks like a file inside your Aperture library is either in use by another application or one of the files inside the library has a filename or file attributes that prevent it from being copied. I'd restart the system before trying to copy again (to terminate all processes that might be holding the Aperture library) and look at the partially copied Aperture library, to get an idea, how far the copy has proceeded. That will help you find out, which of the imported files may have an illegal filename.

Dec 30, 2012 7:45 PM in response to albalboy

Something isn;t right. I can;t say for certain that this is related to your problem with the referenced masters but it should be addressed before you move forward.

Aperture was not running when you tried to copy the library right? What about iPhoto?

In addition to Léonie's suggestions (BTW do you ever sleep anymore? Must be like 2:00 3:00 in Hamburg now, no? 😕) I'd do a library repair also.

regards

Dec 31, 2012 12:38 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Must be like 2:00 3:00 in Hamburg now, no? 😕

OT: 😁 Dec 31, 2012 4:38 AM when I posted and rather noisy - outside a storm is howling and it is raining cats and dogs. We have a funny weather Hamburg right now: the second warmest Temperatur (12.2°C) ever measured in Hamburg at Christmas Eve. In Munich we even had 20,7°C (68,54F), like on a warm spring/summer day - the highest value ever measured in Germany at Christmas.

Dec 31, 2012 6:43 AM in response to léonie

Leonie: It manages to copy 22mb, but when i direct the Aperture program to that Library there is actually nothing in the Library. I have 99Gb in Aperture Library and to be honest I dont even know what most if it could be... Im considerign just deleting it and starting again. All my main files are on HD anyway not Aperture. And allt he versions I have needed to use I have used so if I ever need again I can just mofify again. I´ve had Aperture since it came out so it must have quite some s**t accumulated in that Library.

I just tried pointing Aperture Library to a new one on my HD 2 and tried importing a Folder as a New Project and it gave me this error, yet all my files have read and write permissions.

As Insurance I still have my iMac next to so if you have any ideas as to how I could import the whole thing and make it work I can Always delete everything and restart. But it should not be that complicated I only have my Aperture Library for all referenced and aperture files and another foder Pictures with all my masters etc.

Frank: I have already done every librbary repair known to man, but nothing...

I duuno... I dont understand why it wont find the files on a second HD, I mean, thats what these Mac Pros are designed for so youd think they would make it ¨easy¨ within their own software to make it work.

Thanks for help as always

Dec 31, 2012 8:44 AM in response to albalboy

Leonie: It manages to copy 22mb, but when i direct the Aperture program to that Library there is actually nothing in the Library.

Use the Finder to look into the partially copied Aperture Library, while the copy is still in progress. Ctrl-click the Library and select "Show Package Contents". You will see folders like "Masters" and "Previews"; compare to the folders inside the original library and try to find out where the copy-process stopped.

Ooops sorry here is screen shot from previous point with import into NEW Library

When you are trying to import one library into to the other, how are you doing this? Just to be sure - are you doing it the usual way:

• Open the import destination Library, the one you want to import to, in Aperture;
  • Use the command "File > Import > Library" and select the library to be imported?

Your error message looks like you were trying to merge the libraries by dragging a library in the Finder to import it? To merge libraries use the main Aperture menu and the "File > Import > Library" command.

Regards

Léonie

Moving Versions and Masters from single hard drive mac to multiple hard drive mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.