Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sending SMS Messages via Messenges/iChat

Sometimes for some out of this world reason when I try and send someone a message in Messenger to a regular cell phone (non iOs) Messenger always defaults to messenger and does not let me send the message via AIM (which can send regular SMS messages to non iOs cell phones). Has anyone had this problem? I am aware of clicking on the down arrow in the window, however not always is there an option to send an AIM message and I am logged into AIM. For some contacts it works and others it does not. Anyone know why?

For example tonight I tried doing the following.

Sending iOS Messages to iPhones/ipads via Messengers and it worked just fine as usual.

Sending SMS Messages to non iOs phones and for some contacts I was able to type in their name and a option was available to send a AIM SMS Message, but others there was not that option and I do not know why.

Mac OSX 10.8.2

Messages/iChat 7.0.1

iPhone 4S, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 6:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 1:10 PM

HI John,

The SMS option with an AIM Buddy list is very limited.

The computer has to be set up as if it is in the United States (System Preferences > Language and Text > Region).

The Cell/Mobile phone MUST be in the United States AND on one of the Carriers that supports AIM's SMS forwarding (LIST)

You may fulfil the first in your natural set up.

Some Buddies may then fall into the different categories about whether they are also in the States or on a suitable Carrier

User uploaded file
9:10 PM Tuesday; January 1, 2013

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2013 1:10 PM in response to John Wolf

HI John,

The SMS option with an AIM Buddy list is very limited.

The computer has to be set up as if it is in the United States (System Preferences > Language and Text > Region).

The Cell/Mobile phone MUST be in the United States AND on one of the Carriers that supports AIM's SMS forwarding (LIST)

You may fulfil the first in your natural set up.

Some Buddies may then fall into the different categories about whether they are also in the States or on a suitable Carrier

User uploaded file
9:10 PM Tuesday; January 1, 2013

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jan 1, 2013 2:25 PM in response to John Wolf

Hi,

John and I also chatted about this.

He wished to be able to type a Name in the "To" filed and have the phone Number come up as a AIM (SMS) option.

He would need to add the Phone Number to the AIM (IM Field) in the address card

User uploaded file

This can confuse things if the Buddy also has a regular AIM name that is also logged in (The Buddy List will not show which is which)

The card can be named from the Buddy list for plain Numbers added as if Buddy Name as in this exampleUser uploaded file

User uploaded file
10:25 PM Tuesday; January 1, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Sending SMS Messages via Messenges/iChat

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.