Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

change phone number on ipod touch to not be same as my iphone

I bought my son an ipod touch and set it up with the imessages going to my iphone phone number.... so now all my text messages go to his ipod too because my phone and his ipod have the same number.... how do i change the number on the ipod?? Do I have to factory restore?

iPod touch, new ipod touch

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 5:59 PM

4 replies

Apr 20, 2013 3:16 AM in response to phoenixrm1

What Apple ID are you using in Settings>Messages>Send and Recevie?

When you sign in to your Apple ID with iMessage using an iPhone with iOS 6, your Apple ID is linked to your phone number. This allows you to receive iMessages sent to your phone number on other iOS 6 devices signed in to the same Apple ID. If your phone number is not listed on an iPod touch or iPad, follow this article.

When another iOS device enables iMessage with your Apple ID, you will receive an alert:

Email Address Added to "[device name]"

"[device name]" is now using "[Apple ID]" for iMessage.

Above from:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3529

Aug 10, 2013 11:31 PM in response to jaxthebulldog

I just discovered the answer to this. If your iphone is not actively signed into your signed into your apple id account, the option of ticking off your iphone phone number will not be avaliable on the itouch (for the purposes of imessage/texting sending/receiving on that phone number from the itouch). You cannot add phone numbers to the itouch, only email addreses.

In other words, both your itouch & your iphone have to be actively registered & signed into the same apple id account in order for the "option" of being able to get/send imessages (from the phone number of the iphone) on the itouch to occur.

My message is kinda not really clear but I hope it is somewhat understandable.

change phone number on ipod touch to not be same as my iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.