Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What do I do if my iPad screen won't rotate?

My iPad screen won't roatate. Please help!

iPad 2

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 6:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 6:13 PM

If you see a lock icon in the upper right corner of the screen - then the screen orientation is locked.

Try the side switch above the volume rocker first and see if that unlocks the screen. If that doesn't do it, double tap the home button and swipe to the right and look for the lock icon all the way to the left.

If you do not see the lock icon and the screen is unlocked but still will not rotate, reset the iPad.

Reset the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider - let go of the button

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2012 6:13 PM in response to Ilovedogs257

If you see a lock icon in the upper right corner of the screen - then the screen orientation is locked.

Try the side switch above the volume rocker first and see if that unlocks the screen. If that doesn't do it, double tap the home button and swipe to the right and look for the lock icon all the way to the left.

If you do not see the lock icon and the screen is unlocked but still will not rotate, reset the iPad.

Reset the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider - let go of the button

Dec 30, 2012 7:11 PM in response to Ilovedogs257

Did you close all open apps in the recents tray like Ana suggested and restart the iPad? Did you close them like this?

Go to the home screen first by tapping the home button. Double tap the home button and the task bar will appear with all of your recent/open apps displayed at the bottom. Tap and hold down on any app icon until it begins to wiggle. Tap the minus (-) sign in the upper left corner of the app that you want to close. Make sure that you close every app. keep swiping in the recents tray to get to every app icon. Tap the home button or anywhere above the task bar. Restart the iPad.

Restart the iPad by holding down on the sleep button until the red slider appears and then slide to shut off. To power up hold the sleep button until the Apple logo appears and let go of the button.

What do I do if my iPad screen won't rotate?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.