Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reminders in Notification Center problem

Notification Center (is OS X, not iOS) is showing 4 reminders that were on the Reminders app and were deleted before checking them completed. I opened that app and deleted hundreds of completed entries hoping the error be fixed but had no luck; in the app I only have 6 uncompleted entries left and they do not match the ones in Notification Center.

I toyed around with NC's settings in System Preferences hiding it completely and turning it back on but still it shows the same 4 reminders that no longer exist. I tried creating another user account and setting up iCloud, my reminders were, of course, downloaded and I set NC exactly as before and this time these Reminders didn't show up. So I know there must be some .plist or .xml or some other kind of file I could just trash to reestablish the link between Reminders and Notification Center; the problem is that I'm not that advanced of an user.

I was just about to trash com.apple.reminders.LSSharedFileList Preferences .plist under my user's Library folder but couldn't bring myself to do it. I know files under the Preferences folder can't do much harm but reset stuff, still, my account is SO set to match me that I'd thought of just restoring OS X or moving myself to another account--restoring would be easier, to keep my home folder's name--but the mere thought of starting up from zero, scares me a little. Also, I'm running Server and restoring SSL certificates is a PITA.

I'll thank you forever for any help you can offer me.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 7:43 PM

4 replies

Dec 30, 2012 8:54 PM in response to VitaPrimo®

Back up all data.

Triple-click the line below to select it:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.reminders

Copy (command-C) the whole line of text to the Clipboard.

In the Finder, select Go Go to Folder from the menu bar. Paste (command-V) into the box that opens, then press return. A Finder window should open with a folder selected. If it does, move the selected foldernot just its contents — to the Trash.

The folder you're deleting has a name that begins with "com.apple." It is not the subfolder named "Data" or anything else.

Log out, log back in, and test.

Caution: If you delete some or all of the contents of the selected folder, but leave the folder itself in place, the application may not launch. Deleting the folder will cause it to be rebuilt automatically.

Dec 31, 2012 3:19 AM in response to Linc Davis

No, sadly it didn't work.

I also went ahead and deleted com.apple.reminders.LSSharedFileList.plist under ~/Library/Preferences, but it did nothing. I noticed it (this .plist file) didn't even reappear when I clicked one of the Reminders on NC and the Reminders app was automatically launched.

Thanks a lot anyway, it gave me a little inside on how programs work under OS X, I had no idea what the Containers folder was for.

Maybe the problem is with Notification Center and not the other way around. I think I just have to find a way to reset its information, some cache file, perhaps.

Dec 31, 2012 8:48 AM in response to VitaPrimo®

Please sign out of iCloud in the iCloud preference pane.

Then move the following folder to the Desktop in the same way as above:

~/Library/Application Support/NotificationCenter

Sign back in to iCloud. Test. If there's no improvement, or if the notifications you expect to see are not shown, sign out of iCloud again and put the folder you moved back where it was, overwriting the one that may have been created in its place.

Reminders in Notification Center problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.