Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My battery charges but dies quickly

Hello

I recently got this powerbookG4 from a friend as a gift

It was used be my friend so he didn't need it .

The Mac was dead so I needed to charge it to power up

I notice it takes a long time to charge, it took like a couple of hours to go up 1 %

I left it charging for a while

When I came back the lights showed it was fully charged (after a couple of hours of charging)

I turned it on and it should 100% battery when I disconnected from the power cable it went from 100 to 99

After a couple of mins of usage it immediately went from 99 to 0%! (Note I disconnect it from the charger)

Is there any way it can be fixed?

This is my first powerbook ever so I don't know much of how to use it.

Do I need to buy a new battery?

Note- the charger cable is kinda beat up not bad but it's used

If anybody can tell me what to do

Thank you .

PowerBook

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 8:30 PM

16 replies

Dec 31, 2012 7:42 AM in response to Erick93

Another Welcome!

Realistically, batteries last maybe three years. Often, batteries that are seldom used don't last as long as those that are used a lot. Exercise is good for this class of battery.

The newest PowerBook are now over six years old. Your symptoms describe a battery that is well beyond it expected life.

You can get data on your battery by doing "About this Mac" from your Apple menu and, in the resulting window, clicking "More Info..."

That launches System Profiler. In the left-hand "Contents" pane select "Power":

User uploaded file

Please tell us what it says under "Charge Information" and "Health." That a good way to diagnose battery issues.

Apple no longer sells replacement bateries for PowerBooks but there are some third-pary vendors that can help.

Dec 31, 2012 3:30 PM in response to Allan Jones

The battery information says

Battery installed-yes

Full charge capacity 64163

Remaining capacity 64134

Amperage -1468

Voltage 11275

Cycle count 455

Ac Charger (watts) 0

Connected - no

Charging- no

It's staying on 99% right now

And that's cause I haven't open the browser and went on the web

It usually dies when I go on the web and look at YouTube videos and stuff

Dec 31, 2012 8:57 PM in response to Erick93

Full charge capacity 64163

Remaining capacity 64134

Those are error values The battery is toast.

If you go back to System Profiler's main page:

User uploaded file

and post what the SECOND line (either "Machine Model" or "Model Identifier" depending on the OS version) reads plus your screen size, we can then look up vendors for you. Also, it's helpful to know about where you are. No sense our posting a bunch of vendors from one country if you can't order from there.

Jan 1, 2013 8:20 AM in response to Erick93

Perfect. Here are some resources:

OWC is in Illinois and focuses on Mac accessories:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple_laptop/batteries/PowerBook_G4_15_AL

The cheaper one has only a 90-day warranty. You might call or e-mail them to ask why the difference. OWC is very good with pre-sales tech support. I mention this because I've not seen them offer two tiers of battery warranty before.

I've bought two G3 PowerBook batteries for a friend from this outfit and they have given excellent service:

http://www.global-batteries.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_12/products_id/2664

My battery charges but dies quickly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.