Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Configuring Airport Base Station Graphite

I have a macbook pro 10.7.5. I already have internet setup with a linksys router. I recently found my Airport Base Station (ASB) [Graphite] lying around and decided to set this up in another section of my house, where my linksys router signal strength is weak. However, after spending a lot of time looking around online. I am able to connect to the Airport without a problem, but I want to be able to configure the Airport to setup a password, since my ASB currently has no password set.

However, it seems that my macbook's Airport Utility will not be able to detect my ASB. After doing some research, it seems like my macbook can't access my ASB period. I tried downloading Airport Utility 4.2 on my other windows laptop and it could not dectect my ASB either. It looks like my ASB is simply too old to be dected by current operating systems.

That being said...what are my options here? I want to be able configure a password to my ASB since it still works. Any help is greatly apprectiated!

P.S.: I tried configuring my ASB on my windows laptop using FreeBase software...that didn't work either.

Airport Base Station (Graphite)-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 10:01 PM

2 replies

Dec 31, 2012 1:49 AM in response to krbabu

If your goal is to extend the wireless range of the Linksys router with the Graphite, this won't work. It also wouldn't work if both routers were Apple products as the Graphite does not support either WDS or extending.

As far as the AirPort Utility, one option would be to either run a Windows XP client VM on your Mac or PC, and then, install the appropriate version of the AirPort Utility under XP.

Dec 31, 2012 9:34 AM in response to krbabu

Another alternative to run AirPort Admin Utility you could use an OS X Leopard VM. As Tesserax said extending doesn't work however you could pick up some Homeplug/Powerline adapters and use these, plugging the Ethernet cable into the Ethernet port on the AirPort. Then set up the AirPort in bridge mode. I think this works with the Dual Ethernet base station but haven't ever used a Graphite.

Configuring Airport Base Station Graphite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.