Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DIY Fusion drive with elgato, eyetv 3

I've got the imac 27" 2011, and I have set up a fusion drive and generally I have no issues with it.

However when watching TV (a waste of an imac i know) with elgato eyetv, it pauses every so often. Generally if you listen during this its because the main drive as reving up as its gone to sleep, I know in the system preferences I can tell it not to spin down, but that will cause the drive to eventually fail.

My questions are really to those who have a fusion drive (from the apple directly as a preinstalled build) if anyone else is running the elgato eyeTV 3 and experience anything similar?

Or to everyone else can the Fusion drive be altered so that the live TV stream gets written to the main Hard drive rather than to the SSD?

Any thoughts?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 3:26 AM

2 replies

Dec 31, 2012 3:55 AM in response to MattJayC

The drive will fail no matter what you do with it. That is the fact of hard drives and drives in general.

So stop putting it to sleep and stop the waiting.

No it can't be altered as that is what a Fusion drive is. The System determines what data gets written to each drive not the user. If you want to make that choice then you should not be using a Fusion drive setup.

Also with ANY Fusion drive When, Not If, Either drive Fails they both fail and you are left with Nothing. Kind of like RAID 0 (Zero).

I personally would never use a Fusion drive setup. Better to have a slightly bigger SSD and a secondary spinning drive to store data on. Like moving your "i" tunes, photo and other User/library files, Doc and Downloads, to the spinner and leaving the SSD for the OS and programs.

Jan 3, 2013 9:49 AM in response to Shootist007

Always got a back up! So no worries there.

However the simple answer was in the EyeTV Preferences, I change teh EyeTV archive to be on an external drive and then change the liveTV buffer to use the RAM it uses about 1.5gb and as I have 32GB its a small sacrifice, all seams to run fine now

I did try running the OS on the SSD Only but sadly the 128GB fills up far too quickly. (not throught the user files but just applications.

DIY Fusion drive with elgato, eyetv 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.