Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express 802.11n

I was told that this model is backward compatible with 802.11b/g. Is this correct? If so, how do I connect my 802.11b iMac G4 to it so I can go on the Internet?

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 8:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 9:36 AM

Yes the 802.11n Express is backwards compatible with the 802.11b standard. However you will need to check what encryption standards your G4 supports as it doesn't support WPA2 Personal. Try using WPA/WPA2 or WEP 128-bit (be warned that WEP 128-bit is woefully insecure and can be cracked relatively easily).

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2012 9:36 AM in response to romad

Yes the 802.11n Express is backwards compatible with the 802.11b standard. However you will need to check what encryption standards your G4 supports as it doesn't support WPA2 Personal. Try using WPA/WPA2 or WEP 128-bit (be warned that WEP 128-bit is woefully insecure and can be cracked relatively easily).

Jan 1, 2013 7:01 AM in response to edex67

I went through the documentation Netgear has online but it didn't mention Mac OS, just Windows. I sent them a request for more information about Mac-compatibility. I found Mac instructions for the old WUA, so that may work.

edex67 wrote:

It does work similarly. However, the Netgear provides 802.11n speeds.

and allows use of WPA security like the old WUA did, of course.

Edit:

Discovered the "edit" problem reason: Yesterday my home Internet was down so I was using Safari on my iPhone over cellular network to post. Looks like Safari iOS doesn't support the edit option. Today I'm up on my iMac using Firefox, and the edit button is there.

Message was edited by: romad

Jan 1, 2013 8:47 AM in response to romad

The WNCE2001 works fine on OS X. The IP address is 192.168.1.251. Please note that by default it runs a DHCP server, so connect it to the iMac while the iMac isn't network connected.

Oh forgot to add, it uses a Web GUI to configure it, like most routers. You will want to turn the DHCP server off.

Message was edited by: edex67

Jan 1, 2013 9:10 AM in response to romad

Hi again, Romad! 🙂 Just a bit of really serious advise do not conduct personal financial bussiness over a WEP or WPA encrypted network. Your bank will not replace stolen money from your accounts. Also if you use a WPA2 encrypted network make sure you have a good password.

See https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3047

Also Note WPA2 encrypted networks can be cracked if you are using a password that can be found in a word list. The only thing that will deter a hacker is time. a 21 key password will buy you roughly 2 years per single device attack. download Kismac and you will see what I mean.

Jan 3, 2013 9:31 AM in response to romad

After thinking some more one it, I'm leaning toward buying another AirPort Express, connecting it to the G4 iMac via an Ethernet cable, and having the new AE connect to my current network. Is that feasible or will there be a problem with the G4 iMac (which is running Mac OS 10.4.11) connecting to the new AE via Ethernet cable? I figure that since the NetGear WNCE2001 would work like this then the AE should also.

Airport Express 802.11n

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.