Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo Stream is clogging my devices

I have a bunch of photos on my photo stream. These are currently taking up space on icloud as well as on my iphone and ipad. I want to erase these from my iphone and ipad(so they no longer take up space on my devices) but keep them on my photo stream(so that they only take up space on icloud) Please let me know if you have a solution.

iPhoto '11, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 10:45 AM

2 replies

Mar 24, 2013 7:37 AM in response to knaupstarr

You can delete photos on your iPad and iPhone from your Camera Roll. They will not be deleted from the PhotoStream when you do this.

Keep in mind though, that PhotoStream is not a permanent shortage location for photos. It is designed to allow photos to be easily and quickly transferred between devices and a computer. Photos will not stay on PhotoStream forever and there is a maximum number of photos that can be stored there.

I suggest you review all your photos and decide which ones you want to save. Then connect your device to your computer, start up your image capture application and copy those photos to your computer. iPhoto works on a Mac and other applications are available on a computer. Once you have your photos on your computer they can be deleted from your Camera Roll.

Create albums on your computer that contain photos you want on your device. Then sync these albums to your device.

There are other cloud based storage services that will allow you to do long term storage of photos and permit your to access them. Even so I would keep a backup of those photos on at least one computer.

Photo Stream is clogging my devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.