Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

perform backup?

I am preparing to upgrade from 10.5.8 to Snow Leopard (10.6), but I want to perform the recommended system backup. How do I go about doing this? I've read something about "time machine" - I have no idea what this is, and something about getting an external hard drive? Do I really have to buy ANOTHER hard drive just to perform a backup? That seems a little excessive.

Please provide step-by-step instructions as if I were a 5 year old.

Thank you!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 12:15 PM

8 replies

Dec 31, 2012 2:48 PM in response to steve359

While you eventually have to pay for Carbon Copy Cloner (assuming you like it), it offers a few features not in SuperDuper.

It can backup and restore your "Recovery" partition.

You can easily select the files and directory trees you want to include/exclude from the backup.

You can use CCC to just move a directory tree from one place to another.

You can use CCC over the network between 2 Macs.

(I've used this to move things like my iTunes library and ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup from an older system to a new Macbook Pro, so I could continue sync'ing my iPod Touch.

There are most likely move features above and beyond SuperDuper, I am just familiar with the above.

NOTE: I ALSO use SuperDuper (at least 8 years now) and think it is an excellent cloning utility. SuperDuper has saved me more than once, and I am happy to recommend it. And for the OP's situation of wanting to backup for an upgrade, the fact that SuperDuper is free for a full disk clone makes it attractive.

perform backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.