Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro hard drive is nearly full. Will setting up icloud clear space?

We have a MacBook Pro, an iPad, two iPhones, two iPods and Apple TV. The MacBook has been our central repository and backs up with Time Machine. With 4 users, the movies, photos and music library is getting out of hand and the computer is full. If we move to iCloud, will it free storage on the MacBook or will it only serve as a backup for what is stored there?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 12:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 12:46 PM

Welcome to the Apple Community.

If we move to iCloud, will it free storage on the MacBook or will it only serve as a backup for what is stored there?

It won't do either. It will back up a mobile device though.

7 replies

Dec 31, 2012 12:52 PM in response to Ax4

You stated; "The MacBook has been our central repository and backs up with Time Machine. "

If you are using the internal disk of the MB as the storage space for TM then you have really very little protection of your backup data. I suggest that seriously consider an external drive.

You may want to consider getting a Time Capsule instead and moving your backups there. Then you can remove the backups from MB.

Allan

My MacBook Pro hard drive is nearly full. Will setting up icloud clear space?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.