Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get something that iCloud won't accept into iPhone?

I'm now using Match and most of my songs uploaded today. But some of it doesn't upload and I have the cloud with slash on it. Maybe I can live with that but I still want to be able to get it into my iPhone. But I can't figure out how to do that.

Any ideas?

iTunes 11.0.1, iMac with OSX 10.8.2

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 6:03 PM

16 replies

Jan 1, 2013 9:09 AM in response to Michael Allbritton

Thanks, Michael.

The status is Ineligible.

These are small files that are way less than 200 MB. I guess the only other thing that can make it ineligible is to be recorded at less than 96 Kbps. After looking around I see that it is 32 Kbps. It is an Audio Book.

I don't mind it not being in the cloud but I do need to load it into my iPhone. Has iTunes 11 made that impossible?

Jan 1, 2013 10:09 AM in response to grok12

grok12 wrote:

These are small files that are way less than 200 MB. I guess the only other thing that can make it ineligible is to be recorded at less than 96 Kbps. After looking around I see that it is 32 Kbps. It is an Audio Book.

That is the reason, right there. Besides the bit-rate being too low it is also an audio book. iTunes Match is only for music and music videos purchased from the iTunes Store. All you have to do to get this onto your iPhone is to sync it via USB.

Jan 1, 2013 11:41 AM in response to Michael Allbritton

Michael, I've tried syncing via USB with no luck so far.

My audiobooks are stored in my iTunes library under Music because I didn't see any place else to put them. But after googling around for a while I see that there is the possibility of an Audiobooks section of the library. Is this my problem? Should I try to reclassify them as Audiobooks?

Jan 1, 2013 12:56 PM in response to Michael Allbritton

After more googling around I now know that there is an Audiobooks tab under Books and I have reclassified my audiobook that way and can see it in iTunes under Audiobooks.

I have done another sync with my iPhone. Problem is that I don't know where to look for the audiobook on my iPhone since it won't be in the Music app. Do I need to download something like Audiobook Binder?

Jan 2, 2013 10:20 AM in response to grok12

grok12 wrote:

Yes, I see one of my audiobooks under More > Audiobooks. But there are still several others under Music. I'm still working on that.

You probably just need to delete all music on the device. Go to Settings > General > Usage and tap Music (you may need to scroll down in the list). Swipe across "all music" and tap Delete. Now when you sync the audiobooks should be copied across properly.

grok12 wrote:

By the way, do you agree with Michael A. Alderete who recommends here to convert mp3 files to AAC?

No. For what reason? You're just transcoding from one already lossy format to another further degrading the quality of the audio. There's no reason for that.

Jan 7, 2013 1:11 PM in response to Michael Allbritton

Hi Michael,

I've spent days reading up on iTunes and Match and I now have my audiobooks reclassified as Audio Books under Books.

Then I followed your advice above and deleted all Music and downloaded my current audiobook to my iPhone. It downloaded fine and I am listening to it and very happy except for one thing.

This audiobook consists of 158 parts on 20 discs with from 2 to 9 tracks per disc. In Music on the iPhone the 158 parts are named like this

Part 1 of 158

Part 2 of 158

Part 1 of 158

Part 2 of 158

Part 3 of 158

etc.

The 1, 2, 3, ... come from the track number in iTunes which is useless to me. I want it to use the iTunes Name field instead. Maybe I can figure out how to use Dougscripts to change the info in iTunes and fake it out but maybe you know a better way to do it.

Do you have any advice?

Jan 7, 2013 9:30 PM in response to grok12

Glad I was able to help you sort it out.

I don't have a lot of experience with audiobooks (I don't listen to them) but, if I'm understanding your question correctly, I think the only thing you need to do is do a get into on the files and change the "name" of the track to what you want. Just type over the "Track 1,"etc. I'd also suggest you put in disc number and track number information as well to help with sorting. Make sense?

How to get something that iCloud won't accept into iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.