Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

in Pages, how do I edit the "My Card" data?

I can't get a sender field to select my Email address or mobile phone.

I've searched the Help file for "My Card" and come up with nothing.

I've looked in My Contacts and edited the data where my name has a little blue bust (figuring MAYBE that's the My Card),

but everything looks correct in there, so the sender field isn't pulling data from here.

So WHERE DO SENDER FIELDS COME FROM?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Clamshell mode problems

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 7:45 PM

11 replies

Jan 1, 2013 6:44 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Peter:

First of all, THANKS for the quick reply. However it’s not working, either from the Link Inspector, or directly from the Menu. Here’s the steps to reproduce the problem:

I start with a new blank document, then pull down the Insert menu / Sender Field / Name / First Name, all it does is insert the word “First Name” into the document.

Pull down the Insert menu / Sender Field / Phone / Home Phone, all it does is insert the words “Home Phone”.

Same with all the other fields.

In other words, Sender Fields are not pulling data from the Contacts list.

I have done as you suggested, even closing both the Pages program AND Contacts, then starting Contacts first before starting Pages, in the hope that the link between the two will be established when starting Pages. Still no good.

I got it to work once last night (which was a good sanity-check for me to know I was doing it right) after editing my contact data inside the Contacts program, but I can’t get it to work today. I’ve tried rebooting, restarting Contacts, starting contacts BOTH before and after starting Pages. But it still won’t go.

It’s hard to believe this program is an Apple product, seeing how unreliable it is.

Any other suggestions?

Vic

Jan 1, 2013 7:47 AM in response to victor265

One more thing I tried was to drag a vCard into the merge field names. See Attached. All I got was the error telling me: "Please verify that the data source is set to "Contacts", and you have mail merge fields in your document."

Well, heck! how does it think I got those field names into the document in the first place?

See attached JPG.

User uploaded file

Jan 1, 2013 7:52 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Your VCard is the silhouette figure. In Snow Leopard that is a black head & shoulders. Not sure how it appears in Lion or Mountain Lion.

Are you sure your links are to the same fields?

eg Home Address to Home Address? not Home to Work etc.

I've just tried inserting the Sender merges and they are picking up my VCard information.

It only updates and merges correctly after Editing and closing the VCard. The template has to be opened afresh with the correct data already available.

Peter

Jan 1, 2013 9:10 AM in response to victor265

Peter: I GOT IT! YOU MUST BE EDITING A TEMPLATE, NOT A NEW BLANK DOCUMENT.

To answer your question:

I am DEFINITELY selecting sender fields. It may LOOK like the program may be inserting merge fields, but HERE'S WHAT I FOUND:

It looks like when you open a TEMPLATE, it connects briefly to the Contacts database and pulls data into whatever Sender Fields you have in the TEMPLATE. Then Apple supposes you will save it as a regular document. However, after saving it, if you open said document and attempt to modify the sender fields, it WONT WORK.

You must start from a TEMPLATE if you ever want it to merge your sender data into the document.

I found NO mention of this important fact anywhere in the Pages Help file.

Another case of a "Help file that doesn't..."

Seems like a prety glaring ommision, eh?

Thanks again, I've got it figured out.

Vic

Jan 1, 2013 10:21 AM in response to victor265

Nice catch, Vic.

A couple points: on any documents with sender fields, including one with generic labels that you got by starting from a "blank" document, you can drag a v-card from Address Book to one of the sender fields and it will attach that card to that document as the sender. If you drag your own v-card you get the same result as if you had opened a template with sender fields. That document will maintain its connection to that v-card through closing and opening, until you replace it by dropping a different one.

If you create a document with generic sender fields and save it as a template, it will populate with your information when it is opened. (I don't see this a particularly useful, since it creates unneeded extra files, and dragging in a v-card is cleaner and easier.)

Apple seems to have neglected to document this in detail, but O"Reilly's Missing Manual for IWork mentions: "The moment you create a new document from a template with sender fields, Pages automatically fills them in with your contact info…" [my bold]

Jan 1, 2013 10:44 AM in response to Jeff Shenk

Jeff: You're quite right! I must not have dragged the vCard completely over and on top of the "merge" fields in the document. But it does behave exactly as you describe. I find that if I wished to, I could change the sender to anybody I like.

It'd be nice to have it as dynamic as I had expected it to be, but perhaps if Apple gets enough complaints they may fix it.

But thanks to you and Peter (in AUSTRAILIA, answering me after midnight??!!) for giving me enough information to put 2+2 together and figure it out.

Well, that's the only issue I've found with Pages, and now I can get back to just loving the program. I find it's the EASIEST word processor to keep in sync with my iPhone amd MacBook. Everything else is very cumbersome and more difficult. I've even had a little fun creating NewsLetters with it. There's some great templates for sale on the Apple Store.

Thanks again, Gentlemen, and I hope this message thread will help someone else with Sender Fields.

Vic (Southern California, USA)

Feb 25, 2013 6:27 PM in response to victor265

Thanks folks, I've been banging my head against the same problem for the last two days. It took me a couplel of searches before I found this thread and problem solved after I finally dragged "my" vcard on to the sender fields I was trying desperately to update.

Terribly non-intuitive and confusing and I will probably forget this step by the next time I have to do this.

-louie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.