Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple's cords turning yellow near the connectors, is this dangerous?

Hello, I need some sugestion please:

My apple's macbook (white 2010) cord is turnung yellow near the connection to the computer, also my ipod touch (4g) cord too! and seems to be separating from the cable inside, like more loose, why is this happening? this could be dangerous? what shoukd I do??

It seems like this:

User uploaded file

thanks!

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 4:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 7:15 AM

That's a symptom of overheating. You may have a damaged core in there.

It's potentially dangerous, so should be replaced.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1713

See the bottom section.

5 replies

Jul 19, 2015 2:16 PM in response to alekb

I'm glad I found this discussion. I've noticed the same issue as well with my iphone cord - turning yellow at both ends of the connector. I took it to the store today and the apple employee told me it was "just dirty - grease and hair" [...what hair?] and ensured me it was totally fine. I was not convinced hence looked online and landed here. I don't usually take my iphone charger/cord outside of my house and never rough handle it. Rest of cord is as white as can be. I will be taking it to another store for another evaluation when I have free time.

User uploaded file

Apple's cords turning yellow near the connectors, is this dangerous?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.