Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iChat sending multiple SMS messages

So, I've been using iChat since it first came out and haven't really noticed any odd issues until recently ...

For the past 4 days, when I send SMS messages to someone from iChat, some of the messages will be received by the person multiple times, even though I only sent them once.

It seems that this happens when I receive these automated messages right away:

Auto-reply: Your message could not be delivered. Please try again later.

Auto-reply: Uh-oh! That number won't work. Please make sure it's a valid US mobile number from a supported provider, and not a landline. Need help?

But yet, I don't have this problem when I'm using the AIM service through iChat, so I know this is an SMS issue.

The person who receives some of my SMS messages multiple times contacted his cell phone service provider, and they said that they "reset things", but yet the problem is still happening.

Any ideas?

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 8:06 AM

3 replies

Jan 1, 2013 2:32 PM in response to Pismo

Hi,

AIM have this help page

I am not sure it is going to add anything.

It is about setting up AIM Forwarding but the Listed Carriers are the ones that the person must be using.

I have seen the second message if I try to use it with this Number

User uploaded file

It is not a real number and gets the said message.

What does not seem to be discussed on that page anywhere is when carriers share networks or rather let other cell phone access the service when out of their normal area. (Roaming ?)

I am in the United Kingdom and can't fully test this service and would be stuck with further suggestions

User uploaded file
10:32 PM Tuesday; January 1, 2013

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

iChat sending multiple SMS messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.