Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hide External Hard Drive

Hi! I have a external hard drive connected to my iMac at all times so it can do Time Machine backups. I love the idea that external drives show up on the desktop, but since the Time Machine backup drive is connected all day, it's icon is always there.

I know I can go to Finder>Preferences and have external drives hidden, but I don't want every external drive I connect to my computer hidden. So I was wondering if there is a Terminal command that allows me to simply hide the drive, so it will always be mounted, but I don't have to see it. Thanks!

I am running Mac OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2).

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 8GB RAM, 500GB HD

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 8:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 9:03 AM

You could turn off "Show external drives" and make Desktop aliases for the ones you do want there.

3 replies

Jan 1, 2013 5:09 PM in response to macjack

Thanks for your quick response, macjack! Unfortunately, I couldnt respond immediately because I wasint home.

When doing a little digging around the Support Communities, I found a Terminal command that helped me hide the drive from my desktop.

First you must go to the Terminal app. It is located in Finder ~/Applications/Utilities/Terminal. You can also get to it in Launchpad in the Other folder, or simply search 'Terminal'. Then you enter the following commands to either hide or show a drive.

To hide the drive, enter in Terminal: sudo chflags hidden /Volumes/"Time Machine"

To show the drive, enter in Terminal: sudo chflags nohidden /Volumes/"Time Machine"

The drive I wished to hide was named 'Time Machine'. The quotation marks surrounding 'Time Machine' are there because there is a space in the name. If the drive has no spaces - for example, the name of the drive were 'Backup' - the quotation marks would be unnecessary.

If you are willing to take a shot, you can probably change '/Volumes/"Time Machine"' to another location in the Finder to hide a file of your choice. I did not try this, however, and if it doesn't work, I don't want to be the blame!

I hate to answer my own question, but I felt I should put this up to give a clear answer to anyone else with the same question I had. But thanks anyway's for the extremely quick response, macjack!

Hide External Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.