Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't QuickTime Player play my video?

I tried to open a video, but it said "The movie is not in a format that QuickTime Player understands". So I clicked "Tell Me More" and it showed me a list of formats that QuickTime Player does understand, but the format the video is in was on the list! (By the way, the file extension is .AVI) Thanks!!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 12:05 PM

3 replies

Jan 1, 2013 12:48 PM in response to nudibranch2

Wait, I just read something on apple support that said "[.AVI] specifies a way in which a file may contain audio and video data. It does not specify how that data is encoded. The encoding of audio and video data is specified in what are known as codecs." and then proceded to tell me how to find these codecs, which would enable me to download something that would let QuicktTime Player play those codecs. But there was no "Movie menu" or "Show movie info"! Help please! The site I found was http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1536

Why won't QuickTime Player play my video?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.