Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can a disable the password required to login?

I have a new Macbook Pro retina display. I am the only user of the computer, and I would really like to be able to open and use my computer without being asked for my login password everytime. I have searched this forum for the answer, but I am more confused now than before? One of the answers says to simply go to "Security & Privacy" > General and simply uncheck the box in front of the line that says "require password ***** after sleep or screen saver begins". They even show a screen shot clearly showing this box. The problem is that on my Macbook Pro, when I go to this location, there is NO box in front of that line! There is a small window where I can choose between "immediately - 1 hour", but that is it. Am I doing something wrong? Does anyone know how I can turn off this prompt for the login password?

Thank you!

Lincoln

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 1:33 PM

9 replies

Jan 2, 2013 3:39 PM in response to DaPurpleNurple

Thanks for responding DPN.

I don't know what is going on with my computer, but when I try your suggestion, the window that says "Automatic login:" Off is "GREY" so I don't have the option to turn it on?

I don't know if there is a connection or not, but all of these issues started after my wife signed up for "Carbonite" on-line backup. I called Carbonite to ask about it, and they said it would have nothing to do with their product, but it is fairly coincidental?

Any other ideas?

Jun 13, 2013 1:25 AM in response to stangler

I had the same problem. Easy fix once I figured it out. Do this "System Preferences-Security & Privacy-FileVualt" it will make you put in your password then it will re-start your computer. Simply log back in go back to "Security & Privacy" under "General" you will now be able to see "Disable automatic login" (it should be checked) un-check it. That should fix your problem. Hope this helped!

Jul 15, 2014 7:52 AM in response to ElizabethGB

I have the same issue with my Retina MBP. After the screen shuts down or I close the top for even 15 seconds ... I'm continually getting the request to login with my password.

Under "Users & Groups' no matter of changing anything will effect the greyed out (OFF) Automatic login. I can unlock the padlock and that window offers no option and the window is greyed out and OFF.

Under 'Security & Privacy', there is no button or window to disable the login. All I have is 'require password 1 hour, immediately, 5 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes or 15 minutes. The only checkable box is 'Show a message when the screen is locked'.

I don't mind needing to use the password. However, it is a bit much to do every time the screen goes dark or I lose the laptop for even 15-30 seconds to move the MPB.

Any hints?

Aug 9, 2015 9:55 AM in response to Lincoln Nymeyer

Did you ever find a solution for this? It is just one of the many irritations I've faced with my 2014 Mac Book Pro since installing Yosemite. OF COURSE it is more desirable to require a sign in for security purposes. However, besides being a pain in the neck it also seems to be impossible to reset the PRAM and do other similar things while using the sign in feature. And, because my computer's fan very suddenly began to sound like a freight train, and resetting the PRAM is one of the proposed solutions, I would like to be able to do that.

How can a disable the password required to login?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.