Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install command line IRC to run in Terminal

I am trying to install the following command line IRC client:

http://www.bitchx.com/faq.php

I follow the instructions listed there:

$ wget www.bitchx.com/download/ircii-pana-1.1-final.tar.gz

$ tar xvfz ircii-pana-1.1-final.tar.gz

$ cd BitchX

$ ./configure

$ gmake

$ gmake install_local

I figured out to use curl instead of wget and besides that everything went fine untill I ran the configure script. It apparently tries to compile the gmake program that I was to call next however I got an error:

"checking for gcc...gcc" (which seems fine but then the next line)

"checking for C compiler default output...configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables"

And so I am stuck at that point. I'll note that I have XCode installed. Also I am open to any command line IRC client so if you have a better one to suggest please feel free.

Thanks!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 21.5" i5 2.7 8GB RAM 1TB HD GT640M

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 2:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 2:36 PM

This thread may help you

5 replies

Jan 2, 2013 7:53 PM in response to Geeks on Hugs

While it is certainly fine to install programs directly like that, there are a couple of install managers that make the process easier, MacPorts and Fink.

The big benefit is it looks for and installs all dependencies. If the program you are installing requires something else to be installed, MacPorts and Fink will go get and install those programs.

Install command line IRC to run in Terminal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.