Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac Hard Drive

I need to up date my IMac hard drive from 500g to 1tb not sure of cost but would apreciate thoughts on pros and cons. (2012 Model)

Thanks Bob

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 1:40 PM

8 replies

Jan 1, 2013 1:47 PM in response to Bobm3977

You need to call your local Apple Store or AASP, most Apple stores will not perform this upgrade, your best bet is with and AASP. However have you considered simply getting an External HD and storing larger libraries (music, photo's, movies) onto the EHD? This would be much easier and more cost effective. You can get high quality EHD's from a variety of souces, my personal preference is OWC (www.macsales.com).

Jan 1, 2013 2:15 PM in response to Bobm3977

As stated, you can expect the Apple Store will not perform a HD upgrade. Your best bet is an AASP for this type of service. BTW if you don't know what an AASP is it is an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

My recommendation though would be to begin using the Time Capsule as your backup and router and then re-purpose your existing EHD to store large libraries. Apple explains how to move those libraries in:

iPhoto: How to move the Library to an EHD

iTunes: How to move the library to an EHD

iMovie: How to move the Library to an EHD

Jan 1, 2013 2:34 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Why will they not do an upgrade? I would think it would be the only valid place to upgrade the drive on an iMac because does it not invalidate the warranty to open it up? I have a brand new iMac now but was wondering if down the road a year or two if I wanted to upgrade to an SSD?

Could an Apple authorized person do it without invalidating warranty? This affects a current question of mine concerning purchasing extended Apple care or not? If there is no way to do an upgrade without invalidating the warranty then I should possibly think twice.

I've got plenty of space with 1 TB but the drive is slow. The system is fast all in all but the HDD is definately the bottleneck and if it had an SSD it would scream (way too expensive straight from Apple - the SSD option costs more than my iMac itself cost and I couldn't get it on my model anyway). Why couldn't they offer a small SSD at least for a reasonable price? I would take a 128 GB SSD over a 1 TB 5400 RPM Hard Drive (I live in the cloud anyway). This is my first computer without solid state storage since I gave up traditional hard drives several computers ago.

I love SSDs so much I almost considered getting a $4000 iMac to have it but in the end I'd want a Mac Pro for that kind of money. So I just got a base model...I wouldn't want to spend even $2500 if I wasn't getting everything I want...

So anyhoo...I am also curious about possibilities for upgrading storage in my new generation iMac (the 5mm edge one) and what the warranty ramifications would be if any? If I had a previous gen I would almost consider getting the tools and trying myself, but since you have to deal with messy glue and tape and stuff with mine I would never attempt it myself.

Imac Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.