Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is a Guest Network on an Apple Airport Extreme really necessary?

I previously set up a Home Network using a 5th Generation Apple Airport Extreme Base Station.

When I set up the wired AE, I also set up a separate Guest Network.

I am getting ready to add a 2nd wired Airport Extreme to extend the range and was thinking I would 1st get rid of the Guest Network since it has never been used so far. Visiting family members just log onto the main network.

What are the pros & cons of keeping the Guest Network & forcing visiting family members to just use it instead of the main network?

I believe that the Guest Network canNOT be extended anyway, so anyone logging on with the Guest Network would have a more limited range than if they logged onto the Main Network.

I can see the benefits of a Guest Network in a commercial location.

But what about for a Home Network?

If I were to delete the Guest Network, what are the steps to do that?

I am using Airport Utility for Windows (XP Professional with Service Pack 3) - Version 5.5.3

AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Gen), iOS 6

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 1:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 2:05 PM

Your computer already has a default Guest account set up. You really don't need a Guest Network. Anyone using your network while visiting cannot access your files from the Guest account unless you provide them with an unrestricted Standard or Admin account. A Guest network just lets a visitor onto your network without providing them with your main network's access password.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2013 2:05 PM in response to DonXX

Your computer already has a default Guest account set up. You really don't need a Guest Network. Anyone using your network while visiting cannot access your files from the Guest account unless you provide them with an unrestricted Standard or Admin account. A Guest network just lets a visitor onto your network without providing them with your main network's access password.

Jan 1, 2013 2:27 PM in response to DonXX

If the Guest Network function has not ever been utilized, then there is probably no good reason to keep it active.

When you enable the Guest Network, the available network bandwidth is split between the "main" and "guest" networks, so you are limiting performance on the "main" network when the Guest Network is enabled.

So, even if you want to use the Guest Network feature, it really makes sense to only enable it when you really do have "guests".

You are correct that the Guest Network cannot be extended.

If you want to disable the Guest Network.....here are the steps:

Open AirPort Utility

Click on the AirPort Extreme icon

Click Manual Setup

Click the Guest Network tab below the row of icons

Remove the check mark next to Enable Guest Network

Click Update at the lower right and the Extreme will restart. Allow 30 seconds for a green light to appear.

User uploaded file

Jan 1, 2013 2:56 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob Timmons wrote:

When you enable the Guest Network, the available network bandwidth is split between the "main" and "guest" networks, so you are limiting performance on the "main" network when the Guest Network is enabled.

So, even if you want to use the Guest Network feature, it really makes sense to only enable it when you really do have "guests".

Is the network bandwidth split even when the Guest Network is NOT being used?

50/50 Split?

I have a 40 mbps Fiber Optic connection, so am I only getting 20 mbps on Wi-Fi because the Guest Network is enabled?

All of my connections are hard-wired. Does that make any difference?

If I disable the Guest Network now, when I re-enable it again later, will it keep the same Name & Password?

Or, do I have to set those up again each time I re-enable the Guest Network?

Jan 1, 2013 3:20 PM in response to DonXX

If there are no active clients on the Guest Network, then the bandwidth remains available to the main network.

Up to 50% of the bandwidth will be allocated to the Guest Network when there are active clients on the network.

If you disable the Guest Network, you will have to set it up again when you want to enable it. This might take 60 seconds to name the network, pick security, enter a password and click Update. Even faster if you do not want to use security on the Guest Network.

May 4, 2013 5:19 PM in response to DonXX

In XP sp3, AE5th generation, and Utility 553, the guest account is not accessible as presented here. It showed up when I first set up the AE, but has disappeared ever since. The guest account does up when you use windows to scan for wireless connections.

But Please, how do I now delete this account? Seemed like a good idea, but on second thought I do not see the point in home environment .

Thank you. Robert

Is a Guest Network on an Apple Airport Extreme really necessary?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.