Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What upgrades can i do to my macbook pro 13 inch mid 2012 model

I just ordered it stock. And now i want to do some upgrades to it because it is cheaper to do it myself than through apple (no offense apple). Im already soon to order a 8 gb ram. But what other things can i do to perfect it?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 4:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 4:22 PM

You can install up to 16GB of RAM unofficially. Apple does not support this however, but it has been proven it works perfectly fine with 16GB, including my Mid2012 MBP 13". You can also add a Solid State Drive (SSD) for better disk performance.

I just want to inform you that should you ever need support, any issues related to your upgrades are not covered by Apple. Your warranty is still good for every other part though.

That is the only upgrade a user can perform I believe.

Please tell me if that answered your question?

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2013 4:22 PM in response to Armadilio

You can install up to 16GB of RAM unofficially. Apple does not support this however, but it has been proven it works perfectly fine with 16GB, including my Mid2012 MBP 13". You can also add a Solid State Drive (SSD) for better disk performance.

I just want to inform you that should you ever need support, any issues related to your upgrades are not covered by Apple. Your warranty is still good for every other part though.

That is the only upgrade a user can perform I believe.

Please tell me if that answered your question?

Jan 1, 2013 5:01 PM in response to Armadilio

An SSD replaces your hard drive. Unfortunately they are kind of small in comparison, so you may need to stick with a hard drive. A SSD uses flash memory like a USB drive, except in place of your hard drive. The speed increase is phenominal. This will replace your drive so you will need to reload OS X which is easy thanks to Internet Recovery.

Kingston makes a 64GB model that is decent, I have one in an older original MacBook and it feels so much snappier. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139949

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226318

They vary in all different capacities and speeds. Not all SSD's are created equal.

Follow the instructions in your MacBooks manual to upgrade the drive.

You will need a 2.5 inch SATAIII SSD if you choose to go that way.

Between the SSD and the RAM upgrade you have a beast of a machine.

Jan 1, 2013 5:10 PM in response to Armadilio

The hard drive and RAM are the only things you can upgrade. I am not sure, but I believe the processor is soldered to the motherboard. The i5 is plenty of horsepower, which is what I have. Short of replacing the entire Logic board (Mac's motherboard) there is no way to upgrade it after purchase.

Even with just the hard drive and ram upgrade you will be more than pleasently surprised with the speed it offers.

What upgrades can i do to my macbook pro 13 inch mid 2012 model

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.