Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Carbon Copy Cloner no longer free ):

ok guys i just found out the CCC is no longer free. Can someone tell me another alternative to back up my hd, or where i can download it again?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), 8 gb ram

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 4:50 PM

14 replies

Jan 2, 2013 7:55 PM in response to King Solo

Disk Utility, which is built in to Mac OS X (just see your Hard Drive -> Applications -> Utilities folder), is technically capable of cloning a drive. While it copies file-by-file, rather than block-by-block, it can generally get the job done so long as you're not trying to clone the disk you booted from. This is an option that will always be available. So is the dd command, which is a better choice if you're comfortable messing around in the OS X command line.

Recover a dead hard drive using dd

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20050302225659382

Jan 5, 2013 2:12 PM in response to King Solo

Yes. This from the origin site.

If I donated for CCC in the past, will I have to purchase the new version?

No. To express our appreciation to all of the people who have sent a verifiable donation to Bombich Software prior to July 24, 2012, we will grant a registration code for CCC 3.5. If you are a previous donor and see a message about a 30-day trial, you can retrieve your registration code here.

Link to whole info page.

http://help.bombich.com/kb/overview/carbon-copy-cloners-transition-to-a-commerci al-product-frequently-asked-questions

Jan 5, 2013 3:11 PM in response to steve359

I agree with your assement of the value of the CCC software.

When the fee requirement started I gladly paid the price. Sometime later I remembered that I had made a donation several years ago. It has been worth many times the cost by giving me an unmeasurable sense of security.

There have been too many great programs that failed to survive and mature from lack of user support.

To quote Kurt Vonnegut “In this world, you get what you pay for.”

Mar 26, 2013 10:02 AM in response to paulpen

Yes you can clone to a smaller drive as long as the contents of your drive to be cloned does not exceed the capacity of the drive receiving the clone.

To illustrate see the attached pics. MyMBP has two 250 GB partitions for Mac OS X and Win 7/ BootCamp. I

clone The Mac to a 160Gb partition on an external USB drive. The drive could be cloned to a 40GB external if I wished. There is a discrepancy of size in GB between the original and cloned drives due to the large sleep image on the Mac drive which is not cloned.

User uploaded file User uploaded file

Mar 26, 2013 12:21 PM in response to dalstott

THat's interesting, but on second thought, if CCC really is a "block-copy" backup system, then it makes no sense that you could clone a larger drive to a smaller one. How would it know that *none* of the files on your source drive are physically located on outer tracks..? (or however the disk is physically organized, there is not a 1:1 correspondence between an 80 GB drive and a 40GB one.)

Perhaps CCC checks if there are any files written outside the smaller drive's capacity and issues a warning if there are..? Or, if there are, moves them to e.g. inner tracks..? If so, then it's not a block-copy scheme as advertised.

Whatever. I'm just going to use Superduper instead.

Mar 26, 2013 1:42 PM in response to paulpen

Some info on SD & CCC in regards to defraging. The Hatter recomended this method to those people with disks too fragmented to allow installation a Boot Camp partition.

Carbon Copy Cloner is a backup tool, which can easily create a backup copy of your drive. Though it does not have a specific tool for defragging, it defrags on the backup process. This is an alternative that you can try if you don’t want to wait for a long time for the defragging to finish. Backup the internal hard disk with an internal drive using Carbon Copy Cloner. Use Disk Utility to erase the content of the internal drive. Clone the external drive to the internal drive using this program.

Carbon Copy Cloner is a backup tool, which can easily create a backup copy of your drive. Though it does not have a specific tool for defragging, it defrags on the backup process. This is an alternative that you can try if you don’t want to wait for a long time for the defragging to finish. Backup the internal hard disk with an internal drive using Carbon Copy Cloner. Use Disk Utility to erase the content of the internal drive. Clone the external drive to the internal drive using this program.

Dec 5, 2013 9:15 AM in response to King Solo

The following is from: Carbon Copy Cloner's Transition to a Commercial Product

Can I continue using the older version that is "donationware"?

Yes, absolutely. If you are currently using CCC and have not donated in the past, you are welcome to continue using any version up to and including 3.4.7 as long as you like without purchasing a license. Note, however, that previous versions of CCC are not qualified against Mountain Lion and we are no longer developing older versions of CCC. In addition, we offer limited support on a case-by-case basis. Choose "Update CCC..." from the Carbon Copy Cloner menu to see options for disabling the CCC software update checks.

You can download previous versions of CCC on our Downloads page.

If I donated for CCC in the past, will I have to purchase the new version?

No. To express our appreciation to all of the people who have sent a verifiable donation to Bombich Software prior to July 24, 2012, we will grant a registration code for CCC 3.5. If you are a previous donor and see a message about a 30-day trial, you can retrieve your registration code here.

Carbon Copy Cloner no longer free ):

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.