Previous 1 2 Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2013 6:21 AM by Frank Caggiano
DC Steve Level 1 Level 1

Friends,

I'm trying to export images from Aperture with the caption.  However, when I export the image the caption is not exported with the image.  On the presets I direct Aperture to export metadata.  I've played with the export options in the export dialog but even when I check "caption" the program exports the word "untitled" for each caption.  What am I doing wrong?  Aperture and mountain lion are fully updated.

Thanks!

Steve

• Ernie Stamper Level 8 Level 8
    expertise.video
    Video

Steve,

This always works for me.  What apps are being used to check the exported file for this caption?

Ernie

• Frank Caggiano Level 7 Level 7

When I add a caption to an image and export it and then look at the image in Preview the caption is there:

Screenshot_1_1_13_21_44-2.png

How are you trying to export the image, what format? Where do you check 'caption'? Not sure I'm aware of a setting like that in Aperture. What application are you using to see if the caption is there once the image is exported?

BTW what version of the OS and Aperture are you running?

• DC Steve Level 1 Level 1

Frank,

Your image demonstrates my problem.  My caption comes through in the exif, but I want the title that is displayed of the image to be the caption.  Even in yours, the title at the top is "image009."  I want the caption to be displayed as the display name.

I'm running mountain lion (all updates) and an updated Aperture.

Steve

The 'image009' is the file name of the exported image file.

Aperture does not have the built in capability to have the caption used as the filename on export. You would have to manually (or possibly via Applescript) set the version name to be the caption.

regards

But when I specify "Caption" as the file name, Aperture applies the name "untitled" to the file.  Plus, if I can't change the displayed file name, why am I given all the different metadata options on the export preset?

Steve

Where are tyou specifying Caption as the filename? I have never done that and don;t see where you're setting it.

Frank,

If you direct Ap to export (either by right clicking on the image or through the file menu), a dialog box appears that displays what I interpret to be various naming conventions.  If you scroll through them, Caption appears as an option.

Steve

Just to make sure we're on the same page what OS and Aperture versions are you running?

10.8.2 and Ap 3.4.3

In Aperture 3.4.3 this is what my filenaming box looks like

Screen Shot 2013-01-01 at 22.49.28.png

My eyes are getting old but I don;t see caption in there anywhere. Could you post a screen shot of yours?

Looks like you asked this same question last year,January 8th to be exact, see How to export image with caption

So is this a New Years thing or what? 

It's close to a New Year's thing -- I do a lot of image exporting around this time of year and I find it particularly annoying.

Looking more closely, I see that you are correct:  there is no "caption" field to be added to the metadata fields to be added on export.  I can change the title for the exported image to "version name," but because I like to add captions to the images, it seems rather duplicative.  It's odd that Aperture doesn't include "caption" as a custom field.  But at least I won't (probably) post the same inquiry in 2014.

Of course, this doesn't answer the question of why the only field displayed in the photo browser in mail is the file name field, making it difficult to figure out which picture to append to a message if there are several similar images.  I've posted that question more than once I believe, as well.

Thanks for your help.  Forcing me to really look at this was helpful.

Steve

edit

You disapeared from the thread last year, never said if any of the help you got was helpful. So how did you resolve this then?

I think I got busy and forgot about it -- like I said, New Years is when i do a lot of image exporting.  That being said, I think I concluded that exporting a caption as a file name is not possible.  My old eyes are fine, but my memory is fading . . .

Thanks for your efforts.

Steve

Previous 1 2 Next