Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad is having ghost taps, like someone is remotely using it. Even when it is in airplane mode. I have shut it down and restored it.

I got this iPad for Christmas and it has been great. Yesterday it started to have ghost taps. It seems that someone is remotely attempting to use it. However, this happens in airplane mode too.

I have shut it down and restarted it. Next I did a complete restore. I can't find any help on the apple sight.

Any suggestions?

iPad 2, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 5:16 PM

5 replies

Jan 1, 2013 7:31 PM in response to ckuan

This iPad does not have a phone, only wifi. Te ghost taps are for example,

Gaining into settings and the right side of the screen is acting like I am tapping top categories, then bottom ones. In photo, to goes through the photos randomly at no particular speed. This ghost tapping is not always present. It happens in many programs. I have an iPod touch, and have used it for years with out this problem. I still have it and it does not act this way.

Sep 7, 2015 1:30 PM in response to Salguodnon

Firstly, reading through all the responses to this problem there seems to be no lack of ideas as to what causes this problem. However I will related my experience to you that hopefully will be helpful in dealing with this frustrating problem.

Several months ago the ghost tapping problem on my Ipad Air made the tablet unusable. A person I use for service suggested I wipe the unit down with alcohol, including the case. That worked briefly but the problem quickly returned. Out of frustration I tried to do whatever I could, including removing it from the case I had it in. Lo and behold, the unit started working properly again. I found I could reliably duplicate the problem by putting it back in the case and then get relief by removing it.

I touched base with the case manufacturer and asked if they had others with the same complaint. Without directly answering the question they did send me a new case. I note the new case was a snugger fit; do not know if the lining is different material. With this new case the Ipad Air works well. Not perfectly but certainly to a point where I can use it again.

I surmised that with the looser case the Ipad would move around slightly, rub against the case and build up a static charge. Obviously taking it out of the case eliminated that as a source of the problem.

If you have it in a case it would be easy to see if this would fix the problem. You will have to reboot but that is no big deal.

My iPad is having ghost taps, like someone is remotely using it. Even when it is in airplane mode. I have shut it down and restored it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.