Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn't QuickTime send external MIDI signal to my Synth?

I am not able to play MIDI files through Quicktime to synthesizers. Quicktime is installed on an Acer laptop running the Windows 7 . The QuickTime user manual directed me to Edit,- preferences- Quicktime preferences, audio options. I have only two choices. One for music Synthesiser and one for General MIDI. The Quicktime Synth plays the files through the soundcard on board. I expected the General MIDI option to drive the external synth. I tried using Windows media player and it does play the external synth when a MIDI file is selected. The reason I want to have the Quicktime player operating is because most MIDI sites stream to Quicktime. I'd like to have the player use an external synth of better sound quality. Do I need to purchase Quicktime Pro to obtain the rseults I looking for with the Quicktime player?

Windows PC-OTHER, Windows 7, External synthesizer USB connection

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 8:05 PM

2 replies

Nov 9, 2015 8:10 AM in response to Bobspiano

I have 2 ThinkPad laptops running Win 7 and latest QuickTime 7.7.8 and iTunes.

I have a Steinway Grand Piano with MIDI Player and WiDi-X8 USB wireless MIDI Adapter.

(Windows Vista and later need "vista midi fix" a small free program that changes one registry key to get windows to recognize the USB MIDI Device.)

I have always been able to play MIDI songs using Windows Media Player,and, or, RealPlayer but never ITunes or QuickTime.

I reinstalled all of the above (new HDD) on one of the ThinkPads and now , out of the blue, Itunes and QuickTimep play my MIDI on my Piano!

I can not get the second ThinkPad to play MIDI on anything other than the built in speakers.

This MUST be a Quicktime setting or registry entry No? Help! I have been trying to solve this for over 5 years

Nov 11, 2015 7:43 AM in response to USM14

To clarify,

One of my windows 7 PC's plays MIDI perfectly through my external USB device (Player Piano) using iTunes or Quicktime 7.7.8.

The other identical PC plays MIDI through speakers only using iTunes or Quicktime 7.7.8.

Both PC's Play MIDI perfectly through my external USB device using all other music players I have tried Real Player, WMP, Even the music players that came with my old Sony Walkman and Creative MuVo work.

I need help with QuickTime Win Registry or App Settings etc. I have copied all the working Program Files to second PC with no change.

Thanks

Why doesn't QuickTime send external MIDI signal to my Synth?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.