Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I downgrade the OS X version after installing an upgrade on it?

Hello

Is it possible for me to downgrade an OS X version after upgrading it?

I have a MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard on it. This laptop is provided to me by my office, but is mostly used at my disposal. I wanted to upgrade it to Mountain Lion, of course I'll have to purchase it from App Store on my own as well.

I'm thinking that when (if) I leave my job, I'd want to downgrade the OS X back to Snow Leopard and apply the Mountain Lion upgrade on my next mac whenever I get it.

Is it possible?

Faraz Azhar

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 4:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 4:31 AM

You can delete the Mountain Lion completely and erase the drive and reinstall SnowLeopard from the SL install disks that you used initially, yes this is possible.

However Mountain Lion cannot be carried over to another computer. It is a new form of ownership or lease, where the installation is for one machine only and not transferrable. With a new machine you need to buy a new copy / license of Mountain Lion though these days such a purchase is cheap, a mere $20.

To the essence of your question, yes you can downgrade back to what it was.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2013 4:31 AM in response to itzfaraz

You can delete the Mountain Lion completely and erase the drive and reinstall SnowLeopard from the SL install disks that you used initially, yes this is possible.

However Mountain Lion cannot be carried over to another computer. It is a new form of ownership or lease, where the installation is for one machine only and not transferrable. With a new machine you need to buy a new copy / license of Mountain Lion though these days such a purchase is cheap, a mere $20.

To the essence of your question, yes you can downgrade back to what it was.

Jan 2, 2013 4:34 AM in response to roam

Hmm.. that's sad. I don't wanna leave behind my ML to my office that isn't providing me a $20 licence for it.

Beside I don't have the installation disks as well because I just got the laptop from office, everything else is kept by the IT department, for security purpose I guess.

Thanks anyway. I guess I'll stick to SL for now.

Faraz Azhar

Jan 2, 2013 4:50 AM in response to itzfaraz

Is it legit to get a SL DVD from someone and use it on my laptop for fresh reinstall?

Yes, in fact you can buy your own copy for $20 from the Apple online store, example shown below.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

It is a 10.6.3 DVD ordered online and sent by post, not a download.

Other countries have the same stock available.

Can I downgrade the OS X version after installing an upgrade on it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.