Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my iPod say it has the current version already installed?

I updated my iPod touch 3 to 4.2 five days ago, and now I want to update it to 5. My computer says I have the current version installed... I CAN update it to iOS 5 right?

iPod touch, iOS 3.1.3

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 6:44 AM

9 replies

Jan 2, 2013 6:45 AM in response to freddiew

I suspect you realy have a 2G iPod. Those can only go to iOS 4.2.1.

Identifying iPod models

iPod touch (3rd generation)

iPod touch (3rd generation) features a 3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen multi-touch display and 32 GB or 64 GB flash drive. You can browse the web with Safari and watch YouTube videos with Wi-Fi. You can also search, preview, and buy songs from the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store on iPod touch.

The iPod touch (3rd generation) can be distinguished from iPod touch (2nd generation) by looking at the back of the device. In the text below the engraving, look for the model number. iPod touch (2nd generation) is model A1288, and iPod touch (3rd generation) is model A1318.

Jan 2, 2013 9:00 AM in response to freddiew

What makes you think you have a 3G iPod?

freddiew wrote:

Oh come on guys, you really think I don't know what kind of iPod I have? I know for a fact it's 3rd gen I can prove it, but I'm not going to waste anyones time. I updated it to 4.2 four days ago, and I even clicked check for update, but it says no update.

Jan 2, 2013 8:35 PM in response to freddiew

3.1.3 is the software version NOT the model.

Use the link I gave you to determine your ipod model.

Identifying iPod models

You very likely have a second gen.

Is it an 8gigabyte model? Of so then it is a second gen ipod touch

"Oh come on guys, you really think I don't know what kind of iPod I have?"

I would guess that you do not know what ipod modle you have, yes.

Why does my iPod say it has the current version already installed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.