Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD Backup/Burning

Hi, after having some of my DVDs stolen, I was wondering how I can burn copies of DVDs that I have purchased to back them up. I searched but couldn't get a straight answer. I just got a n iMac with a superdrive and am new to the burning thing Thanks in advance.

iMac intel duo core 17", Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on May 2, 2006 12:10 PM

4 replies

May 2, 2006 12:30 PM in response to jcosmide

I think your easiest bet to back up your DVDs would be to open Disk Utility (in /Applications/Utilities) while your DVD is inserted, and then selecting the DVD in Disk Utility and choosing to create a Disk Image of it (.dmg). This means the iMac makes an exact copy of the DVD onto your hard drive. Then remove the DVD and insert a recordable or rewriteable DVD and burn the disk image onto it.

May 2, 2006 2:35 PM in response to mac_swede

First, most commercial DVDs are 7G+, so making a .dmg file of a commercial DVD and then trying to burn that to a standard single-layer disc can get a little tricky. In fairness, the intel machine does have the ability to write to a +R dual-layer DVD. Otherwise, you'll need to transcode (compress) the original down to fit the single layer format.

Second, most (recent) commerical DVDs contain CSS copy protection. In short, this protection prevents commercial DVDs from being copied. You can give yours a shot using the Disk Utility method - good luck.

I'm not even going to go into the DMCA violation speech - it's old and tired at this point.

DVD Backup/Burning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.