Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update not working for iMac OSX

I recently bought the new iMac OS X and have been trying to use GarageBand but am having trouble with certain instruments. When selecting strings or sound effects, for example, the programme indicated that an update was required to use these. After selecting to update the update section opens and indicates that there are no updates available. When I go back to GarageBand I get this message when I try and use the instruments 'The software Instuments or Apple Loop selected is currently being installed. You have already initiated the installation of additional content for GarageBand via Software Update. For additional information please open the 'Software Update' application.'

I have searched online but cannot find any solution to this and have tried rebooting the computer but to no avail. I am getting frustrated and would be very grateful for any help'

Guffer

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 11:46 AM

3 replies

Jan 2, 2013 3:32 PM in response to guffer

I recently bought the new iMac OS X

Did you buy a new iMac or upgraded to Mt. Lion?

If it is a new Mac with GarageBand preinstalled, have you already accepted the iLife applications to your AppleID? Otherwise the update to install the loops will not be available at the AppStore. If not, quit GarageBand and sign into the AppStore: From http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718:

1. Double-click the App Store icon in the dock.
  2. Enter your Apple ID and password.
  3. Click Purchases.
  4. If you haven't previously accepted your bundled iLife applications within the Mac App Store, you should see your iLife applications appear in the Accept portion of the screen. Click Accept.
  5. You may be asked for your Apple ID and password once again. Your iLife applications now move to the Purchased section. These applications are part of the software that came with your Lion based computer. Your account will not be charged for them. Click Install to complete installation of your applications.

After that, try again to update your loops.

Jan 3, 2013 5:13 AM in response to léonie

Thanks for the advice but this did not work. I bought a new iMac with GarageBand preinstalled. When I log into the Appstore and go to purchases, Garageband, iMovie and iPhoto are already listed as installed as per screenshot below. Any other advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am starting to pull my hair out......

User uploaded file

Jan 3, 2013 7:09 AM in response to guffer

O.K., but it should also show the additional loops to download and update, and it does not.

To make the additional content appear you may have to do the full monty and deinstall GarageBand completely, reboot, then reinstall.

When selecting a loop to update, selct to "Update later", and then open the App Store to look for an update.

See Dagon's post here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3039094?start=0&tstart=0

Regards

Update not working for iMac OSX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.