Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downgrade Mountain Lion to Lion USING Clean Install

I've recently purchased a MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) that came with Lion, I then upgraded to Mountain Lion, I don't like Mountain Lion at all and I'd really preffer Lion, so now I want to downgrade to Lion. No I don't have a Time Machine nor a backup of what was before, and YES I do want to do a clean install of Lion (since I don't have any files to lose or whatever). Do I still have it as a Lion Recovery HD or is it now a Mountain Lion Recovery HD?? If not, is there any way I could get Lion back since I don't have it in the AppStore (It came with the MacBook Pro as mentioned above)??

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 12:10 PM

10 replies

Jan 2, 2013 3:35 PM in response to baltwo

Yes that's what I thought too, but I've read that Apple updated the firmware so that people using Mountain Lion can do a recovery of Mountain Lion (which is in fact the logical thing to do, but not practical because ML isn't quite there yet).

When I go into recovery mode on startup (cmd + R), the Reinstall OS X option in OS x Utilities shows the image of Mountain Lion, would Lion become an option if I choose to erase the disk??

Jan 3, 2013 11:55 AM in response to negib

Since your Mac came with Lion pre-installed you need to do an Internet Recovery by pressing/holding the COMMAND+OPTION+R keys until you see a spinning globe. This will connect to Apple's servers and the OS X Utilities option to reinstall OS X will be for Lion, not Mountain Lion.

Since you have Mountain Lion installed, the Recovery HD (CMD+R) on your hard drive is ONLY for ML installs. Internet Recovery is the way to get back to pre-installed Lion that came with your system.

Downgrade Mountain Lion to Lion USING Clean Install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.