Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing/corrupted folders on external drive?

Here's the situation: My Retina MBP is my main computer and I use it to do all my downloading (movies, music, pictures, etc) but the downloaded files are always stored on an external Samsung hard drive. A few days ago, I thought I'd organize my files a bit by moving certain folders containing movies I have yet to watch, music I have yet to listen to, and stuff like that, to a separate new folder. Everything is done fine on the Mac and even when I switch to boot camped Windows 8 to check the status of my drive, the newly created folders are there with all the subfolders I've just moved into them, intact.

The problem came when I unplugged my external drive from this MBP and hooked it up to another laptop, an Acer Aspire that runs Windows 7, to access my files there. The first time I accessed the drive, I noticed that the changes I made to those folders earlier on my Mac seem to have become "undone" when I view them on the Acer. For example, all the subfolders and files I'd moved from, say, folder A, and put into the new folder (folder B) don't show up in B. In fact, the new B folder I'd just created earlier didn't seem to exist and wasn't even showing up on the hard drive, while all the files I'd moved to it were back in their original folder A. I found this odd, but just dismissed it as a temporary error, maybe due to the fact that the changes were made on a MBP using OS X and now I'm trying to view it on a non-boot camped Windows 7. Mind you, I'd moved my files to a new folder by just dragging them and holding down "cmd", so effectively cutting and pasting them.

Anyway, later on, I took my hard drive back to my MBP and surely all the files were in their right place. Folder B was back and folder A no longer contained my B files, as I'd seen earlier on the Acer. Today I checked again, and noticed that some of my files in B seem to have a duplicate copy in A. The files from both folders had identical names, and even when you try to move them to Trash, they show up as separate folders, meaning that one set of them weren't "phantom" files or anything. So I did what anyone would do and deleted the duplicates - I have no need for two copies of the same movie, song, picture, etc. on the same hard drive. Plugged in the drive to the Acer again, and this time, half of the files/folders in B were now "corrupted and unreadable" according to Windows 7. I went back to my MBP and checked the drive again - those very same corrupted and unreadable files now no longer show up in Finder, confirming my fear that they really are unreadable and unplayable, which is why Finder won't even display them.

To cut to the chase, I tried to organize my files and folders on my external drive through cutting and pasting. After taking the drive back and forth between my MBP and Acer with Windows 7, some of those files are now corrupt and I more or less have to redownload all the stuff I took so long to get.

Why is this? I'm now terrified of moving files around on my external drive. I always thought that if cut/copy/paste/rename/whatever a file on an external drive or USB pen drive through one computer, the changes would be reflected on that same drive when you access it using a different computer. This is the first time I've run into such a bizarre problem and I don't even understand why. I realize that the MBP/OS X isn't the only part of the problem, and I'm guessing something went wrong because I used two operating systems at the same time to modify and read my drive. Not sure. Does anyone know? Is there a fix for this?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Other OS

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 1:00 PM

7 replies

Jan 3, 2013 9:52 PM in response to CTearz

The only absolutes in life are: nothing, and hard drive failures :-(

Could have been one of a couple things:

- if you aren't actually "ejecting" the drive before physically detaching the USB cable/cord that connects the computer and ext. HDD, it can (rarely but even 1% odds mean if you eject the drive 2x a day incorrectly then you could trigger file volume structure issues by physically disconnecting the drive before hitting the eject icon, for example, to the right of the ext. drive name in the finder sidebar, on the left side, it looks like a circle with a triangle above a line if memory serves me right..)

- can be a hard drive file corruption, that simply can just happen. Odds are low, but data loss ***** and lost time having to redo all the stuff you organized really *****.

- try repairing the external HDD in disk utility (clicking on ext. drive in disk util on the left, then hitting repair disk on both the drive, and each partitions on the drive

- what is the format type of the ext. HDD??

Jan 3, 2013 10:01 PM in response to CTearz

Also, if items in trash are from ext. HDD then try this:

- open trash folder, the hold option while clicking on "Finder > empty trash" ( finder menu is to the right of apple logo top left )

- try dragging the files back to the ext HDD and delete the files from the ext HDD by selecting them in the finder window you're using to navigate the ext drive, then, while the files are selected (hold command and select files) -- then hold down command and press the delete key just once, it should work around moving those files to the trash

If you we're curious, file permissions and insufficient or incorrect permissions of files will cause that exact issue you're describing (items in trash from ext HDD won't empty)

lemme know how that goes!

Jan 3, 2013 10:01 PM in response to remy17

I almost always eject this external drive properly before I unplug it. It's shared between this MBP and my other Windows computers so I make sure to eject it on both, I may have forgotten once or twice but even in the past, when I used this hard drive with Windows and never knew I had to "safely remove hardware" before I ejected it, I've never had this error. I suspect that something went wrong as I've been cutting and pasting folders on Mac/Windows, using the drive back and forth on both operating systems. I'm not sure if this is really the reason. I've just never had any problems before with this awesome hard drive.

Would I lose any data on the drive if I repair it? The format is MS-DOS (FAT32).

Solved that trash problem I talked about earlier by moving the folder back to the hard drive manually, but that means I'm back at square one. This big folder itself is not corrupt, but it does contain all the corrupt subfolders and files in it. When I open it in Mac, it shows nothing inside. In Windows, all the corrupt subfolders are there but none of them can be viewed, accessed, renamed, deleted, moved, etc. So I'm kinda stuck with this folder for the time being. Would do the disk utility repair if you can confirm I won't lose my data?

Jan 3, 2013 10:37 PM in response to CTearz

Repair disk does not put your data at risk - it simply evaluates the drive/partition, and checks to see if repair is needed.

If it does say repair is recommended and to backup all your files on this drive ASAP", then all it will do is try to properly repair the file structure/ inconsistencies,

I have NEVER seen repair disk ever cause data loss.

Been doing tech support for 2 years as an ACMT (Apple Certified Mac Technician) - disk utility repair disk is a LIFESAVER for the most part.

Remember again, to repair/verify disk on each and every disk "level" for that drive

For example,

I have an ext HDD and it appears in disk utility as:

+ 3TB - The Batcave

+--------- Remy Backup

Those hyphens are to denote the indented partition name

So, you'd try verify/repair disk on first the line listed "3TB - The Batcave", and once that's done, try verify/repair on the 2nd line, in this case, "Remy backup"

Hope that clears any confusion up :-)

Jan 4, 2013 5:52 PM in response to remy17

Wow, thank you so much! This totally solved my problem. Disk utility is a gem. It seems the first repair wasn't successful, so I double checked by verifying and then repairing again. The second time did the trick. The corrupted folders are all gone and I don't see them in Windows either. Thanks again!

Missing/corrupted folders on external drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.