Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I create an install disk from recovery partition to install on a blank hd

So, my hard drive is slowly dying . . . about all I'm able to access is the recovery partition. I bought a new hard drive to replace it, but no longer have the install disks that came with the computer. How do I make install disks from the recovery partition that I can use to install Mountain Lion back onto the new hard drive?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 12:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 1:04 PM

Use Lion Recovery Disk Assistant 1.0 with Apple MacBook EFI Firmware Update 2.1, if needed. You can create a Recovery HD image on any USB drive or flash drive with 2 GBs of free space available.

6 replies

Jan 2, 2013 1:06 PM in response to freirich

You have two possibilities:

1. Open App Store > Purchases and download Mountain Lion. When the download has finished, open Lion Diskmaker to make a bootable Mountain Lion USB drive > http://blog.gete.net/lion-diskmaker-us/

2. Download Recovery Disk Assistant from the Support website to create a Recovery HD on your USB drive.

The difference between them is that the first contains OS X Mountain Lion, so you won't have to download Mountain Lion from the App Store when you are going to install Mountain Lion

How do I create an install disk from recovery partition to install on a blank hd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.