Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone5 and ios6 converts group SMS into mms - extra charges!

I've just recently moved into the iPhone world and had sent a text message wishing most of my contacts a happy new year, this was in groups of 50 contacts. Unbeknown to me that the phone converts these SMS into mms and my provider has now charged me an extra £50 on top of my normal bill due to these 145 mms and not sms as I thought they were which would have been free under my contract. Does anyone known how to ensure this doesn't happen again? Thanks in advance! Stephen

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 3:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 3:06 PM

This would indicate that not all of your contacts are iphone users.

Some of your contacts when receiving a group text will get it as an MMS.

I know because I've seen this on my phone. So you'll need to text that contact separately next time.

17 replies

Jan 2, 2013 3:13 PM in response to Mcguns

This happened to me New Year's Eve as well, so I've gone in to message settings and turned off mms so it won't happen again, I had only sent to a group of 5 people and when I logged into my tmobile account I saw that I got charged 25p for each message, very annoying, so just turned mms off as I don't send picture messages any way but if I want to send a picture it's normally to someone who has a iPhone or iPod touch so will do it through iMessage or email

Jan 2, 2013 3:17 PM in response to littlesue73

Thanks little sue! O2 have the pleasure of charging me £50 for wishing people a happy new year! Will that definitely stop this happening again, turning off the mms messages? I noticed online that the group messaging option is no longer available in iOS 6, all searches on this problem showed you tube videos clicking the group message option!

Jan 2, 2013 3:25 PM in response to Mcguns

This is what I've just tried I turned mms back on went in to messages and pick a couple of contacts and at the top it says mms message so sending to a group of people sends it as a mms now I turned mms off and did the same again and at the top it says new message so looks like switching mms off should work. I will try it physically now and get back to you

Jan 14, 2013 11:10 AM in response to Mcguns

I had a similar problem but i played **** with o2 for not telling me about this as i used ios6 on a 3Gs without a problem.. o2 eventually refunded my money after i told them i was going to orange/EE. They know akll about it because as soon as you ring them about it they have a script ready.. in which case they should inform you before you purchase the phone... Try calling them and arguing you have nothing to lose

Mar 20, 2013 8:06 AM in response to Mcguns

I've just been arguing with O2 for the extra £97 I incurred over this and I am livid. After 4 calls, I finally got to the bottom of this. As I've been with them for years, I was not impressed with their service or their network department. I've never had any issues with any group messages until I got the iphone 5. It's wrong we're not being told, Apple should be doing something about this and network providers should be telling their customers.

Jan 11, 2014 4:55 AM in response to Mcguns

This also happened to me! I sent a Christmas and New Years message to multiple recipients (only a simple text message). I checked my vodafone app today to see that I had $18.43 in extra charges. As I have unlimited texting and calling on my plan and 2.5gb of data I was surprised to see this much. I rang Vodafone and they said I had sent pxts/mms messages on 25 dec and 1 jan. I knew I hadn't sent any pxts and told them so and they said well you must have to which I hung up. Don't like being called a liar. Anyhow, I looked at the Vodafone app to see $18.43 in MMS charges. I looked at my message history at the time these charges were made and they were Christmas and New Years messages sent to multiple recipients, but they were only text messages (SMS) so I rang Vodafone back informing them of this only to be told that some phones convert messages to multiple recipients into mms messages as was the case with my iPhone 4S. There was no warning from my phone that this was happening, and it doesn't appear to be common knowledge as I've asked many people with iPhones who didn't know this happened either. Luckily, the lady at Vodafone cleared the charges as she realized that it was an innocent mistake and she could tell that I was unaware that this happened.

Is there a way I can stop this or do I need to send 40 individual messages at Easter this year?

Iphone5 and ios6 converts group SMS into mms - extra charges!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.