Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes keeps downloading duplicate items

I'm not sure if I'm submitting this to the right forum, as I'm not sure if it's an application issue or a store issue. I downloaded a TV series from the store, my first TV show purchase after iTunes 11 was released. On several occasions now, it has downloaded duplicates of episodes, the first being the day I purchased it! It downloads a duplicate which then it says has not been watched, adds a file to the library with a sequencial number, and proudly shows the duplicate in the library. The only way I've found to solve it is to delete the affected files, and re-download them again, as if I simply delete the duplicates it shows up as being available on iCloud! Does anyone know why it would be doing this?

If it helps, I'm running a late 2009 Mac Mini, with the latest version of OSX and iTunes, and my library is stored on an external drive which is never removed.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 2:32 PM

12 replies

Mar 31, 2017 1:56 AM in response to TonberryKing

From what I can tell, they edit info on the files, such as copyright or FBI warnings. Then it becomes the official file. So to fix it, I've had to delete what I downloaded already, then re-download. Otherwise it'll keep coming up as downloadable from the cloud. It's mostly seen with pre-orders, which don't have the FBI warnings, and then two days later after release they update the files. It would be nice if Apple got their iTunes programmers and Content Management personnel in order.

Every time I've called support, they try to handhold me like a baby through deleting duplicates, which doesn't solve the problem. Finally they relent and say they'll send in a support ticket, which disappears into a black hole, from which I never hear anything.

Feb 2, 2014 2:46 AM in response to TonberryKing

This happens very frequently and has become so irritating I am considering no longer using iTunes. I also find it very disappointing that Apple, despite numerous posters saying they have this probelm, have decline to comment or address the problem.

I've spent the last few years switching over to Apple in most things, iPhone, iPod, iTunes, and got AppleTV, and also several members of my family and friends followed suit when they saw what I had.

All of my enthusiasm for Apple products however has been undone, with iTunes becoming an ever increasingly woeful piece of software. It crashes regularly, downloads duplicates, forgets artwork I'd spent hours adding, and the in store search facility is pedantic e.g. typing 'sex in the city season 1' will not find 'sex and the city season 1' for example. A truely aweful piece of software.

Oct 14, 2015 2:10 PM in response to Johno2126

...so here it is almost a year later and I am experiencing this issue. apparently there is no answer to the problem? hello Apple people, are you out there? it is particularly infuriating, as the house in which I am staying does not have internet, so I have been using a wee portable wi-fi thing with limited gigs, and in order to avoid extra fees before the month is up (which I thus far have not managed to do) I have to go to public places to download apps, shows, movies, etc. I have watched these episodes twice now and yet keep getting new downloads of the same stuff.

iTunes keeps downloading duplicate items

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.