5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2013 7:22 PM by curtisregina
curtisregina Level 1 Level 1

why did my factory unlocked phone that i paid more money for lock to sasktel when it was updated??? what is the point of buy a phone from apple?

iPhone 4S
  • Lawrence Finch Level 8 Level 8
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

If you bought it directly from Apple as Unlocked (not "SIM Free") then it should not have been locked after updating. If your receipt from Apple says "unlocked" call them and they will resolve it. Apple never uses the term "Factory unlocked", BTW. That's something that scam shops say.

If you did not buy it directly from Apple the "factory" where it was unlocked was the back room of the shop where you bought it, and it was hacked or jailbroken to unlock it.

• curtisregina Level 1 Level 1

no if was brand new in box apple even said only ever hooked up with sasktel but it downloaded carriers settings with the updated witch in turn locked it to them and sasktel can't unlock them as of yet after I found this out my buddy bought the same phone from apple and he tried a Rogers sim and his is also locked now both phones are right from apple Canada

• Lawrence Finch Level 8 Level 8
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

Then take it back to the Apple store where you bought it.

Unless it is jailbroken; then you are out of luck.

• GeekBoy.from.Illinois Level 4 Level 4

I'm not sure about the iPhone 5, but I seem to recall that for the older iPhone 4/4s releases, when you bought an iPhone from direct from Apple in Canada, it was unlocked, but it would lock itself to whatever carrier you activated it on.  Your description is sounding like they are doing similar with the iPhone 5.

• curtisregina Level 1 Level 1

yes it is a iPhone 4S I just got the 5 and wanted to sell my old one I just wonder if my 5 will do the same and I can find any info on my 4s on how to unlock it as sastel can't do it right now and good luck trying to talk to someone at apple lol