Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime open in Activity Monitor, but not on dock

I've been searching to find what's been dragging down my performance and have been watching which applications are open and sucking resources. I've noticed that while the QuickTime icon in my dock is NOT highlighted as open (with little triangle below it), when I go to Force Quit applicaitons, QuickTime is listed as open and I am able to force quit it.

I've searched my HD for Quicktime, and only find that one application plus the older QuickTime Player 7 which I open infrequently to do editing on. I can't find out where this open quicktime application is hiding in my filesystem. When I click on the icon in the dock, it opens with triangle under it. When I close quicktime, it looks as if it's been shutdown but alas it shows up in the force quit window as open.

I've also had this problem with Preview and Calendar so far. I haven't checked my entire dock, but those stick out as doing the same thing.

What's going on? Do I have multiple applications that DONT show up in Spotlight search or when searching in Finder? Is there a way to ensure there is only one QT app on my HD?

Thanks for any imput!

2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac, Mac OS X (10.7), 1 Tb of storage

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 9:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 4:33 AM

What's going on?

Unfortunately, I have periodically noticed similar problems on occasion on my main system which is normally left on 24/7 for the streaming of media content on my home networks when in-home, via Internet streaming when "on the road", and for the monitoring and control of my personal server platform. Problem usually seems to appear following the crash of certain apps or when I have not shut down the main system for routine maintanence over a long period of time. In most cases I simply relaunch the Finder and check to see if the problem has disappeared. Whether or not it has, I normally follow this up with a reboot of the system and perform a repair of permissions on the boot drive as a precautionary measure before running third-party software/hardware testing routines. System then seems to operate normally until the next time I notice that there is something amiss. Problems do not arise all that often but do seem to remain activated until i relaunch the Finder and/or reboot the system. And, in the event it doesn't "fix" the problem, I would then re-build the current version of my operating system on an extenal drive to see it the main OS has been corrupted. (The latter has only happened once when my internal boot drive failed.)

Do I have multiple applications that DONT show up in Spotlight search or when searching in Finder? Is there a way to ensure there is only one QT app on my HD?

Spotlight will only show whether or not there are multiple instances of the same application installed on the same or multiple installed/running drives. (I keep multiple boot drives connected to system in case I need to re-boot under a different Mac OS and may keep copies of certain apps backed up on various RAIDs connected to my system—e.g., copies the QT X v10.0, v10.1, and v10.2 players so as not to have to keep the a pre-downloaded copy of the various Mac OS installers in case I accidentally delete or corrupt the QT Player main app as others on this forum indicate they have done.) In any case, all instances of an app should show up in Sportlight unless it is not working properly.

User uploaded file

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2013 4:33 AM in response to James Williams2

What's going on?

Unfortunately, I have periodically noticed similar problems on occasion on my main system which is normally left on 24/7 for the streaming of media content on my home networks when in-home, via Internet streaming when "on the road", and for the monitoring and control of my personal server platform. Problem usually seems to appear following the crash of certain apps or when I have not shut down the main system for routine maintanence over a long period of time. In most cases I simply relaunch the Finder and check to see if the problem has disappeared. Whether or not it has, I normally follow this up with a reboot of the system and perform a repair of permissions on the boot drive as a precautionary measure before running third-party software/hardware testing routines. System then seems to operate normally until the next time I notice that there is something amiss. Problems do not arise all that often but do seem to remain activated until i relaunch the Finder and/or reboot the system. And, in the event it doesn't "fix" the problem, I would then re-build the current version of my operating system on an extenal drive to see it the main OS has been corrupted. (The latter has only happened once when my internal boot drive failed.)

Do I have multiple applications that DONT show up in Spotlight search or when searching in Finder? Is there a way to ensure there is only one QT app on my HD?

Spotlight will only show whether or not there are multiple instances of the same application installed on the same or multiple installed/running drives. (I keep multiple boot drives connected to system in case I need to re-boot under a different Mac OS and may keep copies of certain apps backed up on various RAIDs connected to my system—e.g., copies the QT X v10.0, v10.1, and v10.2 players so as not to have to keep the a pre-downloaded copy of the various Mac OS installers in case I accidentally delete or corrupt the QT Player main app as others on this forum indicate they have done.) In any case, all instances of an app should show up in Sportlight unless it is not working properly.

User uploaded file

Quicktime open in Activity Monitor, but not on dock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.