Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini Server VPN Issues - Driving me insane

Mac Mini Late 2012

Late 2012

Software OS X 10.8.2 (12C2034)

Server Version 2.2(166)

Previous Issues experiencing: Before i rang apple support and spoke with enterprise support i had no luck at all for weeks getting the VPN connected.

After calling support it seemed to have something to do with my useraccount - Guided through the process of creating new dummy account and trying to connect then. Which sssucceeded..!!!

However. Back on my main account and deleting other user accounts im facing great difficulty setting up a VPN for the purpose of a VPN.

The issue now is: Once i get connected to my mac successfully from my iPhone using the VPN server all is good to go.

However. WHen i restart my computer (For testing purposes this was done) When the MacOS boots up again I have to relog into the Server app. Resign into the program, THen try and reconnect my VPN (WHich will be impossible to do if im out of the country). But it doesnt end there. I keep having to reisue a new Shared Password. FOr testing i Used 1234abcd. Got a good connection - Proceeded with restart and then had to change 12345abcd.

So i have tested this well over 50 times. Trying to find a solution.

In summary: Everytime i use the MAC Mini Server, I have to.

1 Auto login.

2 Repopen the Server.app even though i have enabled it to autostart.

3. Log into the server app (Not another networks Server)

4 Change my shared password

5 Try and reconnect and pray it works.

Whats the quick fix for this. Its driving me insain and honestly making this a 1000$ peice of junk. Its hopeless regarding a server. I want it to be completely operational when i leave the country. My server is designed to Shut on and off between down times (Night Times) when i wake up i jsut want to be able to reconnect via a VPN and no issues, be on my way with life. Not having to wory about remote logging into the PC to then reset up the server.

Any help please!

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 10:54 PM

4 replies

Jan 3, 2013 4:09 AM in response to WRC559

I have problems with VPN on the server too.

Sometimes the client connects straight away.

Sometimes it connects after multiple attempts.

Sometimes I need to stop and start the VPN process to get it to work.

Sometimes the sever loses internet connection.

Sometimes the sever rejects my self signed certificate.

And sometimes it needs a reboot.

So in summary, it sometimes works but mostly doesn't.

I've been hoping for improvements in this area, but its not as flashy as redoing the GUI on iTunes.

DG

Jan 3, 2013 5:56 AM in response to WRC559

I sometimes get this same message window or a VPN Not Authorized window after rebooting my server. I have the Mac Mini late-2012 base model running OS X Server. When I do, I just try reconnecting and after no more than 3 attempts a connection is made either by my rMBP or my iPhone5.

I leave my server running 24/7 and I rarely get either of the two messages mentioned above.

You shouldn't need to open the Server.app unless you need to manage services. The Server services you configured should start everytime you restart. I have the Server.app icon on my Dock, but I do not launch it automatically. I manually click to launch it when I need to manage the Server, Accounts or Services.

Mac Mini Server VPN Issues - Driving me insane

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.