Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pioneer DVR 111-D

I made a mistake and ordered a "111" instead of a "110." Does anybody know if a "111" is compatible with a Mac G4?

Mac G4, dual 1 gig processors, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on May 2, 2006 4:49 PM

12 replies

May 2, 2006 6:22 PM in response to DeaconJoe

Go to System Profiler and see what Disc Burning shows. Do you have an MDD?

Disc Burning shows for me:

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-110D:

Firmware Revision: 1.39
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 2000 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media: No

The drive is set to Cable Select? Cables and Power connection firm?

Regards,

May 2, 2006 8:15 PM in response to mbean

Not sure I know what DVD-Ram burning is -???? But I just burned my first dvd using the new drive. I usually do my burning from the Disk Utiity, burning from an image I created with IDVD. On an 8X rated media, my original drive (burning at 1X it took about an hour, but with the new drive, the burn was successful and only took 12 minutes (including verification). Don't know if I want to venture into "flashing" to get DVD-Ram, but am very satisfied with my initial results. I just wish the directions concerning setting the "jump switch" to cable select would have been a little clearer -- would have saved me a couple of extra trips into the tower.

Jun 25, 2006 6:11 AM in response to WWJD

My system profiler show:

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111:

Firmware Revision: 1.19
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Unsupported)
Profile Path: None
Cache: 2000 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RAM, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media: No

Unsupported? Why?

PM Dual 1.8 GHz PPC G5 Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Jun 25, 2006 7:31 AM in response to joystick

With OSX 10.4.5 my Pioneer DVR-110 also showed
"Burn Support: Yes (Unsupported)"
but everything worked fine.

Now I have upgraded to OSX 10.4.6 it shows
"Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)"

Maybe the same will happen for the DVR-111 in a future OSX update.
Apple was shipping DVR-110s with some G5s. They will probably switch to the DVR-11 now.

Jul 12, 2006 11:38 PM in response to Jeff Ludes

OK, figured it out! After trying every possible jumper setting, as well as different power cables (I must have rebooted a dozen times!), my problem was a damaged IDE cable =S It was crimped by a rivit near the door hinge. Once I freed it and massaged the crimp out, all is well. I didn't have to take the faceplate off, and it fits and ejects find from my machine (2-door quicksilver). I ran PatchBurn, though Toast seemed good to go without it (I don't use iTunes or anything else to burn from this system- for crunching Photoshop only).

I left the jumper on the far left, as it was from the factory. Evidently Pioneer counts their jumpers from right to left 1-5.

Jeff

Pioneer DVR 111-D

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.