Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

restore iPhoto denied on lack of user rights

When trying to restore iPhoto Library, I get an error message (in native language dutch) stating that I, as a user, donot have rights to restore. This is very strange as:

1) it is yesterdays 1:1 copy of this computer (an Imac) on the right TM,

2) I am the right user (and owner) and

3) the rights of the TM copy are properly set R/W.

Furthermore: I cannot reset the file rights on the TM. I cannot copy directly from TM to another Finder map (nor dragging nor copying). I cannot doublle click the TM file, while iPhoto starts loading but warns that the file is not the Main Library (which is true) and doesnot proceed to upload.

It seems that back-up files are locked for some time. At least at OSX Lion both option and time could be selected by the user. Mountain Lion however doesnot have this option. Recommended changes using app BatChmod, is too risky to my liking.

How do I restore iPhoto Libary?

Please help!

bst rgds Roelf

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Time Machine restore

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 4:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 10:09 AM

Can you restore any files from TM?

12 replies

Jan 3, 2013 10:26 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hello Linc,

Yes I restored an (empty) map in the same map "pictures".

I didnot think of that! It certainly limits the options.

I forgot to mention that the back up is stored outside the iMac on in a QNAP 219T NAS, which has Time Machine facilities (mainly configuration of disk space)

I have set all authorizations "unlimited". I donot know wether this invludes the .backupdb-files.

However I configured TM on the iMac of course. Then I've tried again to restore.

The crazy thing is that now the file does not exist on the iMac it is slowly fasing (or fading) out. So I've switched of the TM, which is of course also a desirable thing.

I've tried to locate the .backupdb-file on the QNAP but sofar without succes. It would give me an opoortunity to change R/W-rughts and make an indepenant copy.

any

Jan 3, 2013 11:13 AM in response to Linc Davis

oops again

Google showed that I'm not the only one suffering from this phenomena.

Anyway, you made me thinking about restoring other files which seems to be possible.

It must be in the NAS.

some one suggeste Pondini's site about TM to me. I'm going to have a look ther as well.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks anyway. Any advice is welcome of course.

bst rgds Roelf

Jan 4, 2013 5:25 AM in response to Pondini

hello Pondini,

thank you for your suggestion. Others have me directed to your site as well.

I'm now aaplying #E10. First option didnot work. Now I'm compressing the file which is over 100Gb big!

In the mean time QNAP is researching the cause as well. I'm inclined to think that is a storage handling problem.

I'll let you know the outcome.

thanks again!

bst rgds Roelf

Jan 4, 2013 12:20 PM in response to Sambal-oelek

Dear All,

I'm happy to say that the Pondini suggestion #E9 option 2 (not option 1!) on TM worked out!

It is quite a cumbersome task compressing 106Gb and than unpacking it.

iPhoto had to correct inconsistencies but finally I had my 52K photo's back on screen.

Ofcourse it is a silly thing that restoring has to be perfomed in this way. What are back ups usefull for then?

I'll take this up with QNAP and let you know.

Apart from Pondini, I'm especially very gratefull to Linc and BDAqua!

thanks!

bst rgds Roelf van Dam

Amsterdam

Jan 4, 2013 12:27 PM in response to Sambal-oelek

Sambal-oelek wrote:

Dear All,

I'm happy to say that the Pondini suggestion #E9 option 2 on TM worked out!

Yay! 🙂

Ofcourse it is a silly thing that restroing has to be perfomed this way. What are back ups for then? I'll take this up with QNAP and let you know.

This doesn't appear to be a QNAP problem -- it may have to do with the permissions on your Mac, especially if you've upgraded and/or migrated from an earlier version of OSX.

See the blue box in #E10 of Time Machine - Troubleshooting. Since the iPhoto Library is a "package," though, you can't fix it by changing the permissions on it. But the procedure in the red paragraph should fix it for future backups.

restore iPhoto denied on lack of user rights

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.